Missing millipedes?

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
I had a group of o. ornatus millipedes living together in a plastic container, all 5 were active and spent most of their time above the substrate. for the past 4 or 5 months, only 2 have been active. i figured the others were molting or maybe decided to spend daytime underground, but today i carefully went through the substrate to check on them. i spent nearly an hour trying to find them, dead or alive, but couldnt. i couldnt even find any evidence that they were long dead. so i guess they escaped somehow? the enclosure was a few inches taller than the millipedes were long, could they have crawled up the plastic sides and got out? the container had a locking lid and very small airholes that they couldnt have crawled through... im about to tear apart the room looking for them, but i just find it weird how 3 millipedes could just disappear all of a sudden. or maybe theres something im missing?

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
weird, ALL 6 of my ornatus have been hiding for days now. Last time, a week, or so ago I had to change the entire cage and couldn't find them 3 of them, it turns out 3 out of the 6 were almost at the very bottom curled up in the cage and I have about 6 inches of substrate. I had actually found 2 of them out of the cage in the substrate id taken out! As far as climbing goes, I had one of them at the very top of the cage between the cover and the cage itself, that means he climbed straight up the glass were the pieces meet, these guys are master climbers! Ive found petroleum jelly stops them climbing. good luck, I hope you find them!

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't count on them escaping, their legs are very skinny and unable to climb 90 degree angle surfaces. Probably just dug in the soil somewhere.