Mis-labeled species?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have 2 small slings right now who I am wondering if one of them is labeled as the wrong species. Faenel was labeled as A. geniculata and Rosemary as G. pulchripes, they both look very similar.

I know they are still quite small (both are similar size, between 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch DLS) and will probably drastically change colors again...just wondering if it is at least possible at this point to tell which of those 2 species (A. geniculata and G. pulchripes) one or both may belong too at their current size? Thanks.
First pair both look like A.geniculata to me. N.chromatus look quite different at that size. Second pair is G.pulchripes and something else...need better pics.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Here is an updated photo of Chips, freshly molted as of yesterday. Hopefully this photo turned out better. It looks like he has pinkish-red hairs on his abdomen and pronounced white banding on his legs. Labelled originally as N. chromatus.

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
Even at that size a chromatus will have a white carapace usually....IMO you have 2 geniculata...one is just closer to molting.
Interesting - I have two, both raised from sling, and both took much longer to show the white carapace. One of them only really displayed a white carapace after her maturing molt. Maybe there are different strains or color forms.

cold blood

Staff member
Interesting - I have two, both raised from sling, and both took much longer to show the white carapace. One of them only really displayed a white carapace after her maturing molt. Maybe there are different strains or color forms.
In hindsight, I do believe I am mistaken as to how early that's noticeable...You're right that they pretty much get that last...my mistake, thanks for clearing that up my dear.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Here is an updated photo of Chips, freshly molted as of yesterday. Hopefully this photo turned out better. It looks like he has pinkish-red hairs on his abdomen and pronounced white banding on his legs. Labelled originally as N. chromatus.
Definitely N. chromatus

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I've attached an updated photo of Rosemary who molted within the last 24 hours. I can definitely state that Rosemary is NOT a G. pulchripes, so perhaps she is N. chromatus as others thought or even A. geniculata?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've attached an updated photo of Rosemary who molted within the last 24 hours. I can definitely state that Rosemary is NOT a G. pulchripes, so perhaps she is N. chromatus as others thought or even A. geniculata?
Based on the dark carapace, I would guess Acanthoscurria geniculata, but I think Nhandu chromatus gets its white carapace relatively late. Hopefully someone who has had juveniles of both species can weigh in.

My juvenile genic (I don't have a Nhandu):

cold blood

Staff member
its really confusing knowing which ts are being talked about when you use their "cute" names.

that last pic looks like geniculata.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My female had the white carapace when she was pretty small, around 2". I know some N.chromatus do have a much darker colored carapace, even with mature specimens. If you check out tarcans website you will see their MFs carapace is not white at all.

cold blood

Staff member
My female had the white carapace when she was pretty small, around 2". I know some N.chromatus do have a much darker colored carapace, even with mature specimens. If you check out tarcans website you will see their MFs carapace is not white at all.
Post a link. Only MMs don't have a white carapace as adults.

And an MM

cold blood

Staff member
Just saw the pics you are referring to....hmmmm, never ever saw one look like that at all.....bizarre.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just saw the pics you are referring to....hmmmm, never ever saw one look like that at all.....bizarre.
It may be related to aging, female P.metallica have been known to go black with time. Maybe this is a similar phenomenon, would make sense.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you check out tarcans website you will see their MFs carapace is not white at all.
Well, one of my two looked somewhat like that until her last molt when she matured. A comparison of mine, both female, both around 4.5" when those pics where taken, both freshly molted:

Nhandu vergl.jpg
And the color difference was real, not lighting or anything, actually I think they looked even more different in person. And then, one molt later, the left one had a white carapace, too.