Mis-labeled species?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I have 2 small slings right now who I am wondering if one of them is labeled as the wrong species. Faenel was labeled as A. geniculata and Rosemary as G. pulchripes, they both look very similar.

I know they are still quite small (both are similar size, between 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch DLS) and will probably drastically change colors again...just wondering if it is at least possible at this point to tell which of those 2 species (A. geniculata and G. pulchripes) one or both may belong too at their current size? Thanks.

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The A. geniculata is definitely correct. I haven't seen enough G. pulchripes slings to pass judgement on that.

@cold blood raised G. pulchripes slings though, he might be able to help.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I agree with moxie the T in the second pic is deffiantely A.geniculata, it looks just like the genic sling I'm raising up.. The first looks to be G pulchripes but I haven't raised slings of this species in the last 10 years..

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They both look like A. geniculata to me.

Not the best pics but my G. pulchripes when I got her as a 1" sling (basically brown with a gold-ish mirror patch on the abdomen, slight hint of gold rings on the knees)
13615189_1342868725726563_124114208905199802_n.jpg

After her first moult in my care (gold rings on the legs are slightly more visible)
13700139_1352294981450604_5136400417519701154_n.jpg

After her second moult (probably about 1.5"), the stripes show now

14495397_1443243312355770_6304420026176222797_n.jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That is one thing that gave me pause-- the lack of a mirror patch. But there looks like there might be a -slight- mirror patch at the very end of the abdomen towards the spinnerets. I don't think it's an A. geniculata though, the leg banding isn't quite right.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That is one thing that gave me pause-- the lack of a mirror patch. But there looks like there might be a -slight- mirror patch at the very end of the abdomen towards the spinnerets. I don't think it's an A. geniculata though, the leg banding isn't quite right.
OP said they're a similar size, if one is an instar behind the other then the striping will be slightly off compared to the other (I got my genic as a 4" confirmed female though so I'm not so sure about sling colours), my G. pulchripes didn't have any vertical striping until around 1.5" DLS though, between that and the lack of the gold mirror I'd say it's not G. pulchripes.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
OP said they're a similar size, if one is an instar behind the other then the striping will be slightly off compared to the other (I got my genic as a 4" confirmed female though so I'm not so sure about sling colours), my G. pulchripes didn't have any vertical striping until around 1.5" DLS though, between that and the lack of the gold mirror I'd say it's not G. pulchripes.
Plausible. Definitely plausible. I suspect OP will have a better idea soon. Looks to me like the mystery T may be in early pre-molt. Very shiny abdomen.

boina

Lady of the mites
I agree with Kezy - N. chromatus was my first thought when I saw the pic. I'm pretty sure it's not a pulchripes. N. chromatus are nice spiders, though. They like a little more moisture than a pulchripes as a sling and they are faster and more flighty...

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like rosemary is definitely not a G.pulchripes, but Faenel looks to labeled correctly. Wait a few molts and it should be easier to tell what species rosemary is.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I have 2 more that I am wondering whether they could be mislabeled as well.

Chips was sold as N. chromatus and Cocoa Muffin as G. pulchripes. Chips is about 3/4 inch DLS and Cocoa Muffin is probably 1-1 1/4 inch DLS.

Any idea, or still too early to tell?

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have 2 more that I am wondering whether they could be mislabeled as well.

Chips was sold as N. chromatus and Cocoa Muffin as G. pulchripes. Chips is about 3/4 inch DLS and Cocoa Muffin is probably 1-1 1/4 inch DLS.

Any idea, or still too early to tell?
Having raised both species from slings, they both look to be correct to me.

cold blood

Staff member
Even at that size a chromatus will have a white carapace usually....IMO you have 2 geniculata...one is just closer to molting.

cold blood

Staff member
in the last pic, muffin is 100% pulchripes...the other is too heavy pre molt to be sure.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah now that is definitely a G. pulchripes. Let us know when Rosemary molts. Hopefully their colors will be more pronounced and we'll have a better idea. Now that I think about it-- @cold blood could Rosemary be A. brocklehursti?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Even at that size a chromatus will have a white carapace usually....IMO you have 2 geniculata...one is just closer to molting.
My A.geniculata don't have a gold-like mirror patch. But maybe they're too small for it. Muffin seems to have a big golden mirror patch. The abdomen isn't red enough, and there are no clear white bands on it as well. Have no idea on Chips, but Muffin is no A.geniculata imo.
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates , you work with Acanthoscurria a lot, any ideas?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My A.geniculata don't have a gold-like mirror patch. But maybe they're too small for it. Muffin seems to have a big golden mirror patch. The abdomen isn't red enough, and there are no clear white bands on it as well. Have no idea on Chips, but Muffin is no A.geniculata imo.
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates , you work with Acanthoscurria a lot, any ideas?
in the last pic, muffin is 100% pulchripes...the other is too heavy pre molt to be sure.
No, we're sure that Muffin is 100% G. pulchripes, it is Faenal that is the A. geniculata and I'm still thinking Rosemary is A. brocklehursti.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First two photos are of Acanthoscurria though not going to say that they are geniculata cause too me they're a bunch of mutts these days. Good luck wether you have true geniculata.

The other two photos one is Grammostola pulchripes the other looks to me Nhandu chromatus. Hard to tell on the last photo.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
my male G. pulchripes through the ages if it'll help you decide. He's about 3 inches now. IMG_20170614_174012_840.jpg

Last edited: