Mirror patch or Mould?

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Hey guys and girls!

Just a quick question about my C. cyanopubesence. I got her around 3 weeks ago and she has had this mark on her abdomen ever since. My logic says that it is a standard mirror patch which is common on the species but the more I look at it and compare it to other mirror patches, the more it seems to bring up various questions.

Could this be mould? I keep the cage dry but I know they used to mist her at the pet shop :shifty:

AB has been a great place to learn more about these spiders! :)

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mirror patch. I cannot imagine mould growing on a living tarantula. Now a dead tarantula....

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Looks normal to me. From the pics it looks like she could use a few more crix or roaches every week. GBB's have voracious appetites.
Also even though they like it dry make sure you have a shallow water dish with fresh water.

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Looks normal to me. From the pics it looks like she could use a few more crix or roaches every week. GBB's have voracious appetites.
Also even though they like it dry make sure you have a shallow water dish with fresh water.
Yeah I have been trying to plump her up a bit more. She killed a cricket yesterday but did not eat it as you can see in the picture. She will probably grab it later today otherwise I will take it out :)

I drip water on the web now and then as there is no space to put a small dish. Well there is space but the way they did up the cage when they gave her to me made it quite hard to put one in. However, I have a custom one back at home that awaits her so she will be rehoused in a couple days :D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yeah I have been trying to plump her up a bit more. She killed a cricket yesterday but did not eat it as you can see in the picture. She will probably grab it later today otherwise I will take it out :)

I drip water on the web now and then as there is no space to put a small dish. Well there is space but the way they did up the cage when they gave her to me made it quite hard to put one in. However, I have a custom one back at home that awaits her so she will be rehoused in a couple days :D
The killed a crick but didn't eat got me looking at the pic again.. Its unusual for a gbb to do that unless in premolt.. Looks possible can't really tell though from the pic.

What I did notice my second time around is the wood chips.. They are terrible for Ts because of the oils and dust. Substrate is your choice but I reccomend dry coco fiber. Deffinately rehouse as soon as you can..

Spidi

Arachnopeon
The killed a crick but didn't eat got me looking at the pic again.. Its unusual for a gbb to do that unless in premolt.. Looks possible can't really tell though from the pic.

What I did notice my second time around is the wood chips.. They are terrible for Ts because of the oils and dust. Substrate is your choice but I reccomend dry coco fiber. Deffinately rehouse as soon as you can..
Yeah it could be possible, however she ate the previous day. I agree 100 percent. It was given to me like that when I got her at the pet shop, substrate and all. I will rehouse her when I get back home which will be in the next couple days. I keep all my spiders on peat :)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
That's the fluff that appears when a T has been kicking hairs. They can get "fluffy" before they go bald, if they kick hairs often enough.

Spidi

Arachnopeon
That's the fluff that appears when a T has been kicking hairs. They can get "fluffy" before they go bald, if they kick hairs often enough.
I guess that could make sense, personally I have never handled my spiders so I would not know but it is more than possible that someone at the pet shop may have tried :embarrassed:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I guess that could make sense, personally I have never handled my spiders so I would not know but it is more than possible that someone at the pet shop may have tried :embarrassed:
They don't just kick hairs from handling. It's their primary defense mechanism (in those that have urticating hairs) and they use it when they feel threatened, which can be anytime at all. They will also line their burrows and enclosures with the hairs.

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Appreciate all the replies! Will rehouse her as soon as I can and get her a bit more plump :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Congrats on getting your GBB. I keep mine dry but offered a water bowl (which mine promptly webbed over). Sometimes I punch a hole through her webbing and squirt water into her dish using an oral syringe. No idea if she has ever taken a sip of water, and I tend to let it go dry before refilling (just because 1) it's not easy to refill and 2) it allows anything that might be growing in her dish to die off). I assume mine is getting her water from her feeders. Their webbing is a delight -- and mine is constantly adding new tunnels and layers to her digs. There are silk plants and cork bark in her tank, but it's all webbed over in thick white silk. Gorgeous Ts! Enjoy. :)

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Congrats on getting your GBB. I keep mine dry but offered a water bowl (which mine promptly webbed over). Sometimes I punch a hole through her webbing and squirt water into her dish using an oral syringe. No idea if she has ever taken a sip of water, and I tend to let it go dry before refilling (just because 1) it's not easy to refill and 2) it allows anything that might be growing in her dish to die off). I assume mine is getting her water from her feeders. Their webbing is a delight -- and mine is constantly adding new tunnels and layers to her digs. There are silk plants and cork bark in her tank, but it's all webbed over in thick white silk. Gorgeous Ts! Enjoy. :)
I am very keen to get her in a bigger home, she was given to me in a small enclosure and I have a larger one waiting at home. My only worry is that I am not able to get the dead cricket out as she has webbed all over it :shifty:

I tried to pull it out but the cage is so small and she is so big so she is always in the way haha. Also it has been webbed in so much that I cannot just pull it out. I hope it does not gather mould and the like as it decomposes o_O

The earliest I can rehouse her is the upcoming weekend.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My only worry is that I am not able to get the dead cricket out as she has webbed all over it :shifty:
I tried to pull it out but the cage is so small and she is so big so she is always in the way haha. Also it has been webbed in so much that I cannot just pull it out. I hope it does not gather mould and the like as it decomposes o_O
One advantage to a dry-kept T like GBB is less risk of that. Crix will prolly dry out and dessicate instead of moulding or attracting mites. NOTHING is guaranteed, just saying your odds are better....

Obviously, remove it if you can though! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I assume mine is getting her water from her feeders.
Elle what size is yours? You shouldn't rely on feeders for moisture once they get about 2". My AF definitely drinks. Despite the fact that she webs over it, once cleared of webbing she will drink.

One advantage to a dry-kept T like GBB is less risk of that. Crix will prolly dry out and dessicate instead of moulding or attracting mites. NOTHING is guaranteed, just saying your odds are better....

Obviously, remove it if you can though! :)
Dead crix can mold and attract mites too.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I bought my GBB as a sub-adult female (200 bucks) from Ken, and have had a few moults.... never measured her properly, but would guess pushing 5"+. I am sorta thinking mine may have been wild caught since he was awaiting a shipment from Venezuela at the time I ordered her, so I had to wait a bit to receive her (this was a year ago or so). She was an immediate fave here! :)

I do agree anything dead in enclosure CAN draw mites, but I feel the risk is lessened in a super dry enclosure. Nothing is guaranteed for sure; so, AGREED: I would remove any uneaten prey if possible (though mine is amazing eater, so never had the issue).
I hope mine visits her water dish, but gotta admit, sorta doubt it with mine. She patches my 'water-fill hole' pretty quickly. :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The truth is mites are everywhere, and I hate MITES, even though they are related to Ts. The mites most people see that are shown here at AB tend to look like grain mites. They are a pain in the rear, even if the enclosure is totally dry, but add some water and you can have an explosion as I did once.

At the size of your GBB you definitely have to provide water. My AF female definitely requires. She's mellowing out in her old age I THINK, or I'm just getting lucky w/her behavior lately. Too bad they aren't a docile species like E sp Red/Yellows.

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Tried to pull out the cricket again today but without success :shifty:

It will have to wait until I am able to rehouse her because there is just no way that I can get it out at the moment. It has been webbed in so it cannot be pulled out and I tried to cut the web away with scissors but she always gets in the way as the current enclosure is quite small :bored:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Tried to pull out the cricket again today but without success :shifty:

It will have to wait until I am able to rehouse her because there is just no way that I can get it out at the moment. It has been webbed in so it cannot be pulled out and I tried to cut the web away with scissors but she always gets in the way as the current enclosure is quite small :bored:
Mine has huge enclosure -- makes no difference -- my GBB can arrive at wherever I am in enclosure within 00.00002 seconds. lol

Spidi

Arachnopeon
Mine has huge enclosure -- makes no difference -- my GBB can arrive at wherever I am in enclosure within 00.00002 seconds. lol
Very true haha. But what I mean is even when she is hanging out somewhere, she is in the way which does not make my job any easier seeing as the cricket is smack bam in the middle :D

We will both have to bite the bullet for now :embarrassed: