Minnesota River Valley

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I have been long time due to start a thread here. Here are some things from around my area. Feel free to help with ID's or mislabels. :)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus ?

Camponotus novaeboracensis ?

Ephemeroptera sp. (mayfly)

Philodromus sp.

2mm Philodromus sp. spiderling

Calliphoridae sp.

Male Phidippus audax

Female Sitticus fasciger

Male Eris militaris

Female Eris militaris

advan

oOOo
Staff member
A few more.....

Thamnophis sirtalis

Caterpillars

Moths

Ant mimic assassin

Damselflies

Weevils in a dandelion

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Absolutely amazing. Such clarity and detail. really enjoyed looking at these as well as all your photos. Have any more?! :p

Austin

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said Chad, magnificent work here!! :)

I found another Sitticus fasciger on my windowsill today. Wish I could get a 10X stack of it (right, fat chance lol). Also this evening found a very tiny red mite, curious to see how it looks.

Thanks for letting me know about this thread! :D

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are some amazing pictures! What kind of lenses do you use for the really close macro shots? I have a Canon T4i but I can never find what a good lens would be to start good macro photography of insects/reptiles

advan

oOOo
Staff member
These are some amazing pictures! What kind of lenses do you use for the really close macro shots? I have a Canon T4i but I can never find what a good lens would be to start good macro photography of insects/reptiles
There are many different options out there. I use a Tokina 100mm f2.8. Most of these shots have a Raynox 250 attached to the lens for more magnification. Check into Canon's dedicated macro lenses or if you're on a budget, check out Tokina, Tamron or Sigma equivalents.

Last edited:

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are many different options out there. I use a Tokina 100mm f2.8. Most of these shots have a Raynox 250 attached to the lens for more magnification. Check into Canon's dedicated macro lenses or if you're on a budget, check out Tokina, Tamron or Sigma equivalents.
That's exactly the type of information I needed! Now I have a starting point on what to look for. Thank you very much!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
This thread doesn't suck.
Well, I guess it's time to start sucking up the thread then. {D

Anas platyrhynchos

Female Carpodacus mexicanus

Spermophilus tridecemlineatus

Male Tabanidae sp. eye crop

Euxesta sp.

Popillia japonica

Unknown beetle

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pictures! You're doing some amazing stuff with that macro lens.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful work Chad! :D

That eye crop in the previous post is really incredible!!

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
The Minnesota river valley didn't look all full of life like this when I was hiking around it a few years ago. In January!!

[Me to Minnesota ranger station guy: "Hey there aren't any bears round here are there?"
Minnesota ranger station guy pauses and thinks, then "No no, not this far south....", ... thinks a bit more and looks doubtfully at his calendar, then with slightly less certainty: "Not at this time of the year anyway..."]

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Few images from a walk we did back in August at the Louisville Swamp.

Bob was trying for this dragonfly but sometimes they have other ideas.

Same dragonfly

Getting close to these with a macro lens seems harder than chasing winged insects.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha! FINALLY!!

Fantastic work Chad! :D Wow, I didn't remember that you had gotten so close to that Monarch, sweet!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Haha! FINALLY!!

Fantastic work Chad! :D Wow, I didn't remember that you had gotten so close to that Monarch, sweet!
Thanks Michael! I've been slacking in uploading photos! The shot close to the butterfly was not a monarch unfortunately.

Here's some jumpers found outside my house.

4mm Adult male Pelegrina proterva

B&W

1/4" Phidippus audax with breakfast.

Another juvenile Phidippus audax I found the morning of our big Minnverts meet. A few other photographers were coming, so he was brought in for photos.

My favorite from the session

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, amazing and beautiful shots Chad!!

Yesterday I found a new jumper in my apt, first non-Sitticus fasciger I've seen in here. Same body size and look exactly, but very different markings. Even Silverback hasn't ever seen anything like it. Check out the other forum. Not very good shots but it was even more skittish than fasciger.

AndrewBiddar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
any chance u got threse in HD?

id love a closeup pic of Phidippus audax as my background wallpaper looks so pretty