Minimum temps for spiders

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I'm almost disappointed I didn't lose power so I could engage my emergency heating plan. I bought a 20 pack of Jumbo Uni-Heat 72 hour heat packs just in case this happened. Plan is to huddle enclosures together, tape off an area with mylar heat blankets & then activate as many as necessary to keep temps survivable. Theoretically seems like it should work.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Thanks @cold blood for updating for me and thank you to everyone for your suggestions. :)

I still don't have power, but I have been able to keep my Ts warm enough with the hand warmers I had on hand and purchased more this morning. I think they will be okay.

I'm gonna keep this short because I need to conserve the battery on my phone. I charged it at work and I can use my car for charging but trying to limit that. DTE says I might not have power until Sunday.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If I lived in cold climes with power outages possible, and I kept animals that relied on me to keep them alive, I'd consider a bicycle type people powered generator.
http://www.econvergence.net/
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Build-A-Bicycle-Generator/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...power-how-to-build-a-bike-generator-16627209/

The heat coming off your body after an hours serious riding would also help warm a small room.
Or... y'know... just keep hand warmers in stock.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My wife suggested keeping the animals in bed with you. My sis suggested keeping a few hookers instead so you won't be as likely to notice your collection is freezing to death.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Wow...four days out of power because of a storm...
Good luck Amber!
Let's hope his tarantulas stay healthy! That's a long time tarantulas staying in real cold! I would maybe buy some source of heat until electricity is back

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks @cold blood for updating for me and thank you to everyone for your suggestions. :)

I still don't have power, but I have been able to keep my Ts warm enough with the hand warmers I had on hand and purchased more this morning. I think they will be okay.

I'm gonna keep this short because I need to conserve the battery on my phone. I charged it at work and I can use my car for charging but trying to limit that. DTE says I might not have power until Sunday.
Wow...four days out of power because of a storm...
Good luck Amber!
In 2011 we lost power here for 7 days. That was not fun if you can imagine that.

Best of luck to you Amber.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've been looking into getting gas logs for my fire place for just this reason. I lost power eariler this winter and was kinda in the same boat. Hand warmers wont really help with the amount of Ts I have.

I hope everything turns out ok for you.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Power was restored to my house today around 7 pm est. I'm worried about one of my Ts but will monitor him closely because my GBB is in his hide and he's literally never done that, not even to molt. One of B. Albo slings is burrowed, so I can't tell if he's alive for sure, but I imagine he is because all the rest are alive. The Ts being in a drawer with hand warmers kept them alive. We switched out new warmers every 7 hours because the ones I could buy only lasted that long. I'm lucky that I don't have a huge collection of Ts. We will be looking into buying a generator once the stores around here have them in stock, so hopefully if this ever happens again I won't have to worry so much about my Ts all dying. The lowest temp my house got down to was 51°F, so that's pretty darn chilly.

The storm was super crazy. Some shingles blew off my roof and some sections lifted but did not fully detach, so I'll need some roof work. Everything in the fridge and freezer is bad. So the damage has been minimal. I'm just so very happy that my Ts made it through. I literally asked everyone I knew who had power to take my Ts for just a few days and everyone said no because they were scared or creeped out by them. I seriously think people are weird for having a fear of spiders, but in reality I realize I'm the odd one out for not having that fear.

Anyways my avic avic has been the most active I've ever seen her since the house has been warmed back up. She has been circling her enclosure top to bottom and all around for 20 minutes. I've never seen her do this before. I threw in a roach and now she is not moving an inch.

Attachments

Mossae

Arachnopeon
I've had power outages etc here in Ohio in cold weather for several hours and never had any deaths, even the snakes were fine last winter. A little cold but they made it

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I've had power outages etc here in Ohio in cold weather for several hours and never had any deaths, even the snakes were fine last winter. A little cold but they made it
We didn't have power for 2.5 days and the temp in my house went down to 51° F at the lowest point. I had to warm up my Ts. I was just too scared to wait and see. I felt like I had to try something.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I feel like the low 50s is about the limit of what they would experience naturally in a desert. It gets colder than that at night, yes, but they burrow. Underground is always 52-54 degrees. They might survive temps lower than that in the short term, but I'd rather not stress them any more than necessary.

boina

Lady of the mites
Glad yout Ts and you made it through the storm and power outage more or less ok!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Relieved you have power restored and all things considered are fine. Great and safe job on using the warmer packs as your heating solution. An event that many don't prepare for, power loss, and modern appliances won't work without it.

About 7 years back I lost power for 5 days, drug out the old KeroSun heater and used it. Being conscious of O2 depletion, opened a window in the front and back of the house occassionly. 30K output kept an average temp of 70°F in 1/2 the house until power was restored. January and the outside temps were below freezing at the time.

When push comes to shove, we'll do whatever is needed to care for our pets.