1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Millipedes: Professional Breeder Series --Shura Sigling--English Printing

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by Nomadinexile, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Advertisement
    POSITIVE!

Professional Breeders Series: Millipedes By: Shura Sigling

Edition Chimaira *Make sure you get the English edition.*

Copyright 2010 by Chimaira Buchhandelsgesellschaft mbH

ISBN: 978-3-89973-489-8

Available through Author here: http://www.millipeden.org/pages_php/Milli_00_11.html

U.S. Distributor: www.zoobooksales.com (507) 467-8733

Disclosure: I paid full price and have had no contact with Author until ordering the book. I have no financial interest with the Author, Publisher, or Distributor. This review is based on my feelings of the book, with no financial benefit for myself whatsoever. This is my first book on millipedes.

I would like to preface by saying service was excellent. Reply’s to orders and emails have been prompt, friendly, and helpful. Book was shipped without delay.

Millipedes: Is a hard cover book measuring 8.5” by 6”, and is just over 200 pages. It is well printed with excellent color pictures, distribution charts, and lacking any obvious printing errors. English translation by Author is accurate, with only a few words used that are not in common use, but completely understandable in all regards. There may be a few times you will want to look up a word, like heathland or veld, but most of us will not need to do so.

The first 55 or so pages deal with millipedes in general. It starts off with what makes a millipede a millipede and shows the taxonomy. It also talks about the ancient history of them, including pictures of museum replicas, and specimens in amber from 50 million years ago. It then shows different habitats, including pictures. There is then a small chapter on anatomy, including 9 drawings showing all aspects of its anatomy, and describing its systems and sensory structures.

Next up is the identification methods, and description of the often kept families. Then comes sexing, mating and reproduction. This is also accompanied with a drawings of gonopodes of two species, and many pictures of mating, eggs, larvae, and juveniles. After that is a great few pages on molting and Periodomorphosis. This, like the rest of the book, is accompanied by many great pictures.

Now you will arrive to millipede keeping section. This is over 20 pages itself. It starts of with terrarium types and sizes and moves on to substrates. *A note, “Bird Sand” is a substrate I could not find here. After searching online, i found it is used as a substrate in bird cages, and is a mixture of fine sand and crushed oyster shells.* The substrate mixture given was a big surprise to me in some ways, but well researched and thought out. I am glad to have gotten this book when I did, as I fear my previous substrate was lacking in a couple of nutrients.

Millipedes: then goes into the growth of unwanted fungi in the terrarium, and plants that can be added to it. Lighting, heating, humidity, and possible problems are also covered. Food and water are covered next. Then she goes into fruit flies, gnats, and slugs; and what to do about them. This area ends with a few paragraphs on keeping different species in the same terrarium and a few more on breeding.

Next up is predators and defense. This covers natural predators, curling up, and a good amount on their defensive excretions. Very informative, and full of pictures like the whole book! The General information part of the book wraps up with medical care, diseases and parasites, and even a page on ethical euthanasia.

The next 140 pages are where the book gets really fun! There are 69 species given two pages each. Each species has a few paragraphs covering distribution, habitat, description, keeping, diet, and breeding. Each species has a color distribution map and usually 5 color pictures (varies between 3-7), with each picture showing a different view or aspect. Species accounts vary from the common and well known easy to care for species, to the rare and difficult to impossible to keep species. Breeding difficulty is also described, or stated as unknown when appropriate.

The book wraps up with a glossary of terms, and some internet links, including our own Arachnoboards! And it also provides a list of other books that she suggests.

I can hardly gush enough about this book. I can’t put it down. It is eye catching, informative, and thought provoking. I am impressed with the diversity of information, and the thoughtfulness of the Author. She not only describes the useful information we need to keep and breed, but also gives us information that concerns habitat destruction, and reasons not to keep certain species or groups. (ie. giant pill millipedes) This is my first book on millipedes, and probably won’t be the last, but I highly doubt there is a more thorough one out there for hobbyists and breeders. The only downside I have yet found with Professional Breeder Series: Millipedes., is that I now have to start saving for more millipedes! (Some of which are not readily available currently in the U.S.) However, I think this book will go a long way towards expanding the hobby of Millipede keeping, and therefor the availability, of millipedes in the U.S. Thank you Shura Sigling for a wonderful book! Everyone will love this book. And if you are serious about millipedes, or intend to breed, it is an invaluable resource. I highly recommend it to anyone. Breeders should not hesitate and get it right away. Hobbyists and keepers will love it. And even people not keeping millipedes currently will find it interesting and a joy to read and look at. Get this book! ~ryan

2. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    I ordered some copies for resale as I was excited to hear a larger format, hardcover millipede book was in print. Some of the husbandry and reproduction details are notably second-hand and at least one name is different from identification provided by a US taxonomist but overall it's a spectacular book with boatloads of great photos (though not one of the famous Madagascan pillipedes or albino Narceus). If you have any interest in millipedes you should have a copy of this book.