millipedes for beginners

Nick sparks

Arachnopeon
I’m Looking to get a millipede to get but I’m not sure what to get. I would like something that would breed easy and something I can handle

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agree with ivories! While they are not as big or impressive as some other species, they make up for it by being inexpensive and easy to take care of. If they start breeding for you, be aware that hatchlings can and will climb and escape through ventilation holes so you may end up with stray 'pedes wandering around your house (or dying under the furniture and in other out-of-the-way spots).

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Be aware that hatchlings can and will climb and escape through ventilation holes so you may end up with stray 'pedes wandering around your house.
You can hot glue chiffon over the ventilation holes to prevent this, just obviously make sure it’s the chiffon covering the holes and not the glue.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I agree that Ivories are a dream.

My first millipedes were Orthoporus, so I'll plug them too. Their enclosures can seem a little more complicated (slightly moist substrate, lots of ventillation, and dry perches for them to climb around on). Their rewards are their larger size, variation in colors if you get a mix, and their habit of spending a lot of time above ground climbing around on any structure you place for them.

The biggest drawback from your list is that Orthoporus don't breed in captivity. There are rumors it can be done, but everyone agrees it's vanishingly rare.

I did have Ivories and Orthoporus sharing a communal enclosure for a few months, but something about the arrangement encouraged the Ivories to spend time underground more than their reputation called for. I don't know that it was the Orthoporus specifically that kept them more out of sight... there was a LOT going on in there. Since I moved my Ivories to their own enclosure I see them all the time, so you're getting solid advice from people who are pushing you toward them. Best of luck!

jfbynum

Arachnopeon
My one and only set of millipedes are the Giant African that I got from a superior at work who breeds them, and they have been super easy to care for (mind you I've only had them somewhere around 10 months). I've heard that millipedes are generally easy to care for overall, but I'd definitely start with a species that is inexpensive in case you need to make tweaks to your enclosure.