Millipedes darker in color. 4 have died.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
My Trigoniulus corallinus colony has had some strange deaths. They first become darker in color and loose the red. Then the next day they spilt in half (not molting. Like someone chopped it in half). I have no idea what is causing this. Nothing has changed. Please send help. I haven't seen any mites or anything of that nature.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Update: I think it is a disease or parasite. I unfortunately don't own a camera and my phone camera is cracked. I'll try to get photos. It has spread to a separate colony. I took all precautions and sterilized everything I use with Millipedes. I washed my hands and everything. It's like a plauge of something..... Very sad, I am going to put the poor guys in the freezer.... It is really scary. I have 3 different millipede species and 2 have been hit....
Yeah i tried googling the he'll out of 'splitting' but couldnt find a thing. I'm so sorry that's horrifying

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If the humidity is too high for too long, the food is inadequate for too long, cage pests have escalated, or there are large temperature shifts they will all start dying and it will look like this. It is helpful to start up a new enclosure at the first signs. Over time your setup can go bad. I have seen this problem and I do not personally believe a virus is involved in any way.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
If the humidity is too high for too long, the food is inadequate for too long, cage pests have escalated, or there are large temperature shifts they will all start dying and it will look like this. It is helpful to start up a new enclosure at the first signs. Over time your setup can go bad. I have seen this problem and I do not personally believe a virus is involved in any way.
But I live in Hawaii. It constantly stays one temp. and one humidity. I haven't seen any kind of pest, big or small. And I did start a new enclosure for my 2nd one that died... I made sure EVERYTHING was clean.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
But I live in Hawaii. It constantly stays one temp. and one humidity. I haven't seen any kind of pest, big or small. And I did start a new enclosure for my 2nd one that died... I made sure EVERYTHING was clean.
They may still die when you move them over depending on how far along they are. The substrate provided (even with supplemental food) can only be eaten so many times.