1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Millipede unboxing

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Aquarimax, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnolord Active Member

Utah
    Advertisement
    i recently posted a millipede unboxing. These were from @mickiem. If you have seen her posts, you know how skilled she is with millipedes! I’d have learned a lot from her. Thanks Mickie, I love these little pedelings!

• Like Like x 3
  2. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

Thank you! I hope the Spirostreptus sp. 1 get more popular in the hobby; they are great millipedes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

Great video, and a cool looking species!

I wanted to ask if this is the only species that curls in a globular fashion? My largest millipede is what I have taken previously as a dark brown Orthoporus, but it has never defensively coiled. Even when basking, it only has ever partially wound up, always with one end draped loosely over the edge of a stick or something. For about 2 weeks it has become much less active, tucked away in a back corner of the enclosure curled up into a tight globular ball.

Does this definitively ID it as Spirostreptus sp. 1?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnolord Active Member

Utah
    Great question, I am afraid I don’t know how widespread this type of coiling is, just that is doesn’t seem to occur as commonly as the normal coil. Does anyone else have millipedes other than Spirostreptus species #1 that do this?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

I have seen triple coils in other Spirostreptids. I can't think of ever seeing a Spirobolid triple its coils. My species 1 guys don't always triple its coils. I see them often as a 2-D coil. I have bridges made from coir and the Sp. 1 millipedes often hang out there, stretched out or slightly coiled. But it is certainly a "trademark" look for those big globular piles of pedes!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

So interesting! So it wouldn't be that unusual for Orthoporus (as a Spirostreptid) to glob up sometimes. I see that a quick Google images search on "Orthoporus coil" shows some flat coils, some more 3-dimensional coils, and also plenty of those loose half-coils I see a lot of in mine. Anyway, didn't intend to hijack the thread from Rus's cool video. Thanks very much for the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Exoskelos

Exoskelos Arachnopeon Active Member

Ohio
    That video is great, hope those do well and you can get a colony started. I always like seeing videos of millipedes.

I've got several very large Narceus sp. and I've seen the globular sort of coiling with them, but only with the longer ones. I think the defensive reaction exhibited might be a result of the size of the millipede, not necessarily by species. Although certain species are more prone to coiling in that manner.

The Narceus commonly coil in the normal spiral shape, the globular type is much rarer to see, but it does happen sometimes. Maybe not a full spherical triple coil, but I've definitely seen at least a double coil for some of the ones I have on multiple occasions. Not trying to continue the discussion about the coiling, but it is strange that millipedes can have diverse types of defensive coiling reactions. I think I have a paper on it somewhere actually.

• Like Like x 2