Millipede talk

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Hey guys I'm new to arachnoboards and thought I'd post a thread. These are my millipedes I own atm seeing how I live in Florida it's harder to obtain non Florida native species. I've had these guys for about 4 months and they have already started to reproduce which I was very surprised when I found the baby's (found out about a month a go when I saw a few lilttle white millies crawling around xD. But yeah I would love to see other people's species and how there tanks set up.

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Welcome to the hobby! This is an addictive and very fun hobby.

I keep mine in Hefty High Rise plastic tubs with holes drilled around the top. [1/8" holes about every 4" within 1/2" of the top on the sides] I have anywhere from 3-8" of substrate, according to their size. I mix my substrate as opposed to "layering" that I know some people do. My substrate is 30% rotting wood [also with shredded aspen and Traeger pellets], 30% leaf litter [also with organic leaf compost], 30% coir and calcium. I bake all of my components for two hours at 250°. Then I add a thin layer of wood or leaves, according to what they eat, on top. I keep sticks and pieces of bark on top to provide different texture for their walks. Some of them coil on the bark as though they were basking like a reptile although there is no light source. On some species that prefer temps over 72° [AGB, Scarlett, Philippine Blue, Glossy Black Pinkleg et al], I add an under tank heater. I place this ABOVE the substrate line on the side. NEVER on the bottom. They don't get very hot, but they do take the edge off when my bug room dips below 70°.

No photos right now; I'll try later today when I have more time. Enjoy!

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much. I guess I use the layering method in my set up. I used terrarium soil rotting wood then rotting leaves for the substrate I also have 2 different types of moss on the surface of the substrate. Also my room doesn't go below 73 degrees and I never hard a problem with the temp but just in case I ever do should I like just use a 10 gallon heater or do they make nano tank heater?

AvLteralice

Arachnopeon
from asia - new to hobby - want to share. I use 70% dead/rotten wood(experimenting on ferment sawdust and wood crumbs) and leaf litter(mainly fruit trees and IndianAlmond). 30% coco fiber/sand/moss/cuttlebone and pot soil to make it natural. I also dont do layering so I mix it all. I use 50L tanks on adults and 25L tanks to small ones w/ holes on top for ventilation. I boil/freeze/microwave all the components. Planning to try as much species I can caught within my range(I dont buy millies, I enjoy searching millies in the wild). As of now I only have Thyropygus and the black big I dont know ID millipede hahaha. Setting some dates to travel to catch some Philippine Blue millie and some flamelegs in the wild. here some pics the day I caught them in the wild.
Thyropygus.jpg Floydi.jpg

Last edited:

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
from asia - new to hobby - want to share. I use 70% dead/rotten wood(experimenting on ferment sawdust and wood crumbs) and leaf litter(mainly fruit trees and IndianAlmond). 30% coco fiber/sand/moss/cuttlebone and pot soil to make it natural. I also dont do layering so I mix it all. I use 50L tanks on adults and 25L tanks to small ones w/ holes on top for ventilation. I boil/freeze/microwave all the components. Planning to try as much species I can caught within my range(I dont buy millies, I enjoy searching millies in the wild). As of now I only have Thyropygus and the black big I dont know ID millipede hahaha. Setting some dates to travel to catch some Philippine Blue millie and some flamelegs in the wild. here some pics the day I caught them in the wild.
View attachment 258180 View attachment 258181
Wow that's pretty amazing I would love to go collect wild flamelegs. My millipedes are also field collected. I plan on looking for ivory millipedes (Chicobolus spinigerus) and the ebony phase in the Florida keys soon.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thanks so much. I guess I use the layering method in my set up. I used terrarium soil rotting wood then rotting leaves for the substrate I also have 2 different types of moss on the surface of the substrate. Also my room doesn't go below 73 degrees and I never hard a problem with the temp but just in case I ever do should I like just use a 10 gallon heater or do they make nano tank heater?
I use 7W heaters and I think there is one smaller size. 73 should be ok. Sounds like you may have a bigger worry of the room becoming too hot.

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
I use 7W heaters and I think there is one smaller size. 73 should be ok. Sounds like you may have a bigger worry of the room becoming too hot.
I recorded the temps of the cage and it's generally at night around 73-74 and during the day 74-75. I haven't seen the temps get any higher or lower then that (except when the power was out during Irma temps went to 77). Also quick question do you know where I might be able to find a preserved pair of AGB's?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I recorded the temps of the cage and it's generally at night around 73-74 and during the day 74-75. I haven't seen the temps get any higher or lower then that (except when the power was out during Irma temps went to 77). Also quick question do you know where I might be able to find a preserved pair of AGB's?
Temperature sounds good. I wouldn’t worry about a heater.

What do you mean by preserved? AGBs might not be legal where you live, unfortunately.

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Temperature sounds good. I wouldn’t worry about a heater.

What do you mean by preserved? AGBs might not be legal where you live, unfortunately.
In florida to own non native Florida millipede species you need to apply for a permit. Which you discribe you encloseur you'll be keeping the millipedes then you have to send in a pair of voucher specimen (which in my case I would be sending a pair of AGB's but they have to be preserved and I don't want to buy AGB's and kill 2 to send) with the scientific name labeled to the Florida department of agriculture so they can verify and keep record of what I own

mickiem

Arachnoprince
In florida to own non native Florida millipede species you need to apply for a permit. Which you discribe you encloseur you'll be keeping the millipedes then you have to send in a pair of voucher specimen (which in my case I would be sending a pair of AGB's but they have to be preserved and I don't want to buy AGB's and kill 2 to send) with the scientific name labeled to the Florida department of agriculture so they can verify and keep record of what I own
Oh, that sounds weird. Bugs in Cyberspace offers preserved specimens. Good luck!

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Oh, that sounds weird. Bugs in Cyberspace offers preserved specimens. Good luck!
Yeah it's a pain but i really want to expand my collection so I figured why not try to get the permit. But yeah I guess I would have to send BIC an email to ask about preserved exotic millipede specimen thank you again