Millipede substrate mix

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
so I’m considering making my own mix of substrate for my millipedes, both of them are orthoporus ornatus millies if that makes any difference. What would the mix need to consist of the most? For those of you who have done this before, what mixture have you had the best results with?

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Hehe. I have! You can use eco-earth, compost, leaf litter, and decomposing wood! Hope this helps. I also replied to one of your other posts :)

Whitney Taylor

Arachnopeon
Still starting out, but my Ivories seem very happy with a base of Creature Soil, with rotting wood, leaf litter, sphagnum and a hint of coco fiber added. I think mine’s close to about 1/2 soil and 1/3 leaves/wood?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Hehe. I have! You can use eco-earth, compost, leaf litter, and decomposing wood! Hope this helps. I also replied to one of your other posts :)
Thanks! Is aspen wood safe for millipedes? I have some aspen wood chips that I was going to try and use if it was safe. And what type of compost do you use? I assume you could go out and buy a bag of organic compost and mix it with the leaves and wood right? Sorry, I’m just a bit new to raising millipedes and I’ve never made my own mix before.

CompostWitch

Arachnopeon
Any common hardwood/deciduous tree is edible for millipedes, so aspen is a fine choice. Likewise any organic compost you can get at a garden store should suffice. I actually used worm castings in my ivory millipede enclosure, because it's what I had lying around, and it works great, keeps the millis and the live plants happy.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Any common hardwood/deciduous tree is edible for millipedes, so aspen is a fine choice. Likewise any organic compost you can get at a garden store should suffice. I actually used worm castings in my ivory millipede enclosure, because it's what I had lying around, and it works great, keeps the millis and the live plants happy.
I see, thanks!