Millipede poison?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Hello! I'm new here and also quite new to owning insect/invertabrates.
I recently was considering getting a orthoporus millipede, but I've heard millipedes can secrete a type of poison if disturbed. Is the poison really dangerous? A question to those who own millipedes, do they secrete this poison a lot?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Hello there! So glad to hear you’re joining in on the fun! :)

Based on my experiences, I cannot tell you whether or not the orthoporus millipedes secrete large amounts of fluid or not. I can tell you that they do indeed secrete this fluid! The fluid is composed of chemical compounds that are meant to deter predators. My word of advice: do not try to eat a millipede or rub your eyes with one. Otherwise, you’re definitely going to be fine.

Millipede defensive fluid, at its worst, is composed of hydrogen cyanide and other compounds. These come from flat / polydesmid millipedes. You definitely should not be concerned.

If you get this fluid on you, wash your hands with soap and water. Often times when you hear of people having issues, it’s when they didn’t realize they had it on them in the first place and they scratched themselves or something. Most fluid stains the hands, some do not.

The most magnificent starter millipede, both in budget and care, is the Chicobolus spinigerus in my opinion. They come from Florida and grow to be an incredible ivory color. I would be more than happy to provide you with care information and stats if you think you’d be interested in getting a few, they grow to 4 inches at max length. Good luck & reply with any questions you can think of! I’m here :)

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Just a sub-note, the ivory millipedes I described above hardly ever secrete this fluid! Mine have never and they have been handled by my responsible 6 year old nephew.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Pretty common question, only flat-backed millipedes secrete a cyanide; while round backed millipedes, such as Orthoporus, secrete benzoquinones. This solution may cause irritation to the skin, especially if you wind up being allergic, but as long as you wash your hands you will most likely be just fine. I personally am allergic to bumblebee secretion, though as long as I was my hands well after handling I have no issues.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Just a sub-note, the ivory millipedes I described above hardly ever secrete this fluid! Mine have never and they have been handled by my responsible 6 year old nephew.
Thank you very much for the reply! I was also considering the florida ivory as well and I'm torn between the two!

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Pretty common question, only flat-backed millipedes secrete a cyanide; while round backed millipedes, such as Orthoporus, secrete benzoquinones. This solution may cause irritation to the skin, especially if you wind up being allergic, but as long as you wash your hands you will most likely be just fine. I personally am allergic to bumblebee secretion, though as long as I was my hands well after handling I have no issues.
Thanks! I personally don't have any allergies that I can think of except for maybe one instance of a fire ant bite where I started whelting up everywhere. I've been bitten many times after though and never had a problem. Hopefully I won't be allergic to any secretions from millipedes!

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Thank you very much for the reply! I was also considering the Florida ivory as well and I'm torn between the two!
I have both and they both have their benefits. Ivorys aren't too difficult to breed where as Orthoporus have only bread 1-2 times in captivity, and may have just held sperm from being caught in the wild. Orthoporus grow to around 6 inches where Ivorys grow to about 4. If you just want a big millipede that isn't too difficult, get Orthoporus; if you want a very simple millipede that will breed in captivity, get Ivorys.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
I have both and they both have their benefits. Ivorys aren't too difficult to breed where as Orthoporus have only bread 1-2 times in captivity, and may have just held sperm from being caught in the wild. Orthoporus grow to around 6 inches where Ivorys grow to about 4. If you just want a big millipede that isn't too difficult, get Orthoporus; if you want a very simple millipede that will breed in captivity, get Ivorys.
Yeah I think I'll probably get an orthoporus, I don't care much about breeding, at least not right now. Plus I really like how big they get :)

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
A little off topic here, but do millipedes ship well? I was going to buy mine online but I'm afraid of it getting stressed and dying.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
A little off topic here, but do millipedes ship well? I was going to buy mine online but I'm afraid of it getting stressed and dying.
Yes. They ship excellently, don’t even worry about that. Express shipping is worth it considering it’s only 15 extra dollars and most offer a live arrival guarantee.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Yes. They ship excellently, don’t even worry about that. Express shipping is worth it considering it’s only 15 extra dollars and most offer a live arrival guarantee.
15 extra dollars on top of the priority shipping, which is 15. Most sellers charge $30 for live arrival and express shipping

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
6EF8435C-4F78-4798-BCFC-E519B7F61220.jpeg
These are my ivories wrapping up the microscopic cucumber bits from last night. These have only molted once in my care and aren’t nearly close to full size. I’d suggest checking out pictures of adults online :) I think you should do whatever you want but I’ve always been so thankful that I went with the pattern before size with my first millipede! I have Archispirostreptus Gigas now as my second species and they are monsters, beautiful ones at that!

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
View attachment 277732
These are my ivories wrapping up the microscopic cucumber bits from last night. These have only molted once in my care and aren’t nearly close to full size. I’d suggest checking out pictures of adults online :) I think you should do whatever you want but I’ve always been so thankful that I went with the pattern before size with my first millipede! I have Archispirostreptus Gigas now as my second species and they are monsters, beautiful ones at that!
They are really pretty :) let me ask you, I currently was planning on keeping my millipede in a decent sized kritter keeper, not forever, I was going to upgrade later on unless a kritter keeper could hold a 6 inch millipede? The orthoporus I was getting is at about 2-3 inches. Do you think it would fit well in a cage that size at least for the time being? Or should i get something bigger?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
They are really pretty :) let me ask you, I currently was planning on keeping my millipede in a decent sized kritter keeper, not forever, I was going to upgrade later on unless a kritter keeper could hold a 6 inch millipede? The orthoporus I was getting is at about 2-3 inches. Do you think it would fit well in a cage that size at least for the time being? Or should i get something bigger?
My 3 inch AGB is in a 20 gallon tank, so I would maybe look at getting something bigger if you can but it’s not mandatory, especially if it’s temporary. I like giving extra space, but my AGBs like to hide in the two inch cave I gave them 24/7, so no comment! Let me know if you have any other questions, I can certainly help if I know the answer :)

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The size is less of an issue than the humidity, although Orthoporus species are somewhat more tolerant of low humidity than non-desert species. If you are ever planning on keeping non-desert species, Knitter Keepers don’t typically hold in enough humidity to keep the millipedes healthy, at least not without modifications. Some people use plastic wrap with a knitter keeper to hold in humidity; others, myself included, usually use an inexpensive plastic storage bin, drill in a couple of holes, and cover the holes with a fine-weave fabric to discourage fungus gnats. The latter solution is usually cheaper than a kritter keeper of comparable size, and once you’ve modified the Kritter keeper to improve humidity, it has lost any aesthetic advantage it may once have held over a plastic storage bin.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
My 3 inch AGB is in a 20 gallon tank, so I would maybe look at getting something bigger if you can but it’s not mandatory, especially if it’s temporary. I like giving extra space, but my AGBs like to hide in the two inch cave I gave them 24/7, so no comment! Let me know if you have any other questions, I can certainly help if I know the answer :)
Ill probably look into a more comfortable sized cage then thanks!

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
The size is less of an issue than the humidity, although this is less of an issue with Orthoporus. If you are keeping non-desert species, Knitter Keepers don’t typically hold in enough humidity to keep the millipedes healthy, at least not without modifications. Some people use plastic wrap with a knitter keeper to hold in humidity; others, myself included, usually use an inexpensive plastic storage bin, drill in a couple of holes, and cover the holes with a fine-weave fabric to discourage fungus gnats. The latter solution is usually cheaper than a kritter keeper of comparable size, and once you’ve modified the Kritter keeper to improve humidity, it has lost any aesthetic advantage it may once have held over a plastic storage bin.
I've noticed that they dont hold humidity that well...I keep my mantis in one and spray it at least twice daily but he doesnt seem to mind the occasionaly drop in humidity. I have to add i also live in florida and keep my him outside since the temp and humidity works for him. So its a bit easier with all the extra rain to keep humidity up since its already so humid xD

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I've noticed that they dont hold humidity that well...I keep my mantis in one and spray it at least twice daily but he doesnt seem to mind the occasionaly drop in humidity. I have to add i also live in florida and keep my him outside since the temp and humidity works for him. So its a bit easier with all the extra rain to keep humidity up since its already so humid xD
How long do Mantis live in your experience, just curious?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
How long do Mantis live in your experience, just curious?
This is my first mantis and my first pet imvert :) I've only had him for almost a month. He is still young at L2. I've read however they live up to 3-5 months, and in very good conditions may live up to a year.