Millipede Collection, 3skulls

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww that sucks. I've heard the species can be kind of fragile and sensitive to temperature extremes.

Solucki

Arachnoknight
Sweet! I assume the dorms will have a problem with bugs, though. It's a good thing they're easy to hide.

I know it's way early, but you got any idea what you're going to specialize in?
Haha. That's a funny thought. College kids smuggling bugs into their dorms.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
MrCrackerPants, I'm having a hard time finding anything talking about temps.
In Millipedes in Captivity it only says they need to be over 72*

Bugs in Cyberspace says room temps.

My problem is I need to keep the T room up because I have some younger snakes in there. If I take them out of that room the room temps fall into the 60s at night.

Do most millipedes fall into the 75-80 range?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MrCrackerPants, I'm having a hard time finding anything talking about temps.
In Millipedes in Captivity it only says they need to be over 72*

Bugs in Cyberspace says room temps.

My problem is I need to keep the T room up because I have some younger snakes in there. If I take them out of that room the room temps fall into the 60s at night.

Do most millipedes fall into the 75-80 range?
I believe (don't quote me on this) most of the speceis we can get in the U.S. do well at 72-78 F. I do not mean to worry you. Some millipedes start to have a die off above 80-82 F. Let me see what info I can find out about your species. Maybe no big deal with bumblebees.

---------- Post added 04-28-2013 at 10:28 PM ----------

OK. I can't find any other temp info on this species. If you can't keep them at 73-78 than you can't. Sorry I could not help further. I keep all of my millipedes at 75 F. Good luck.

Last edited:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Yeah I couldn't find much on them.

Thanks or the help!
I'll have to do some moving around and see what I can do.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
This is not the most useful anecdote but the one time I've found them in the wild they were burrowed deep into very moist, rotten wood(in July) while the outside temp was in the 90's. The availability of spots for them to escape heat/dessication is probably necessary but that true of virtually any millipede.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I guess I'll have to move my millipedes down to my big snake room. Ambient temps are 77* in there.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Well, if I have to have a shelf in the snake room for millipedes. I might as well fill it up :)

Picked up some Trigoniulus macropygus from SDCP.

Have lots of wood and leaves for them to munch on. Read a couple of things that says they don't really care for fruits and veggies, is that true?

My bigger snake room is kinda L shaped. I placed all my millipedes on in the cooler part where I keep my colubrids. Stays about 76*

My bumblebees ate some cucumber :D
They seem to be doing well.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes this is a good decision. become a pede hoarder!

Sweet! I've heard the species is a super fast grower, but I've been reluctant to get them since they're so short lived. You'll have to keep us updated on your experience keeping them.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Yeah it looks like the go for about 2 years or so. I'm hoping they keep giving me babies so I can always have some :)

We will see.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Those temps sound great. The higher to an extent, the faster the metabolic process and therefore the growth and death. The opposite is also true.

Mine love fruit. Just feed them apple once in a while. They get tired of it if too often though. Every two weeks some waste apple (not too much...maybe 1 slice or less) and they should crowd around it.

It is true they are not long lived but they are worth it and you will have babies so you'll keep up your stock!

I recommend apple since it does not go bad quickly. Things like strawberries and kiwi...they will eat but you've got a mess on your hands. AGBs love kiwi.