1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Millipede Collecting

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by perfectpredator, Jun 29, 2012.

1. perfectpredator

perfectpredator Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Been having some luck lately collecting Ivory and Scarlett Millie's, figured i'd share this with you guys. Thank you! This is my first post on Arachnoboards Millies are awesome!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. mmfh

mmfh Arachnobaron

usa
    Wow you are having some luck. Wish I lived in an area that had such neat millipedes.

3. Aviara

Aviara Arachnoknight

Texas
    Wow! How big are they on average in that picture? Looks like you've had a lot of luck :) I love millipedes - but the only ones I've found outside are very tiny, black, and not at all impressive.

4. zonbonzovi

zonbonzovi Creeping beneath you Staff Member

That's a nice haul. Up in the north end of FL, the flatties are out post rain if you make it that far. Try the mixed forest lands that contain oak and look for long dead, fallen trees.

5. perfectpredator

perfectpredator Arachnopeon

Thanks guys. Theyre 3-4 inches, put them on aspen pellet bedding I use or my rodents. Feeding them apples, cucumbers, and dead oak leaves. Added some romaine for moisture mostly. Any tips? I'm following what I learned in the 90's from my late great friend and business associate Bryant Capiz. He knew Arachnids incredibly well- I really miss those days.

6. Aviara

Aviara Arachnoknight

Texas
    I don't know any species-specific care information, but I feed my millipedes (juvenile 1" Thai rainbows) on leaf litter (bought, not found), apples, bananas, carrots, cucumbers, dark green leaves, and they also have a piece of driftwood in there if they decide to nom on it. I keep the humidity at around 60-80%, and they are kept on a tropical mix with live springtails. This is all in my planted vivarium with a large pothos and two other smaller terrarium plants, along with a day gecko. It gets lit in the daytime with a UVB and a non-UVB light/heat bulb, but at night the pedes come out to party :)

7. Wow, I'm very jealous! That's a LOT of pretty millipedes!

8. Zman181

Zman181 Arachnoknight

N.Y.
    Wow, that is really nice!

9. Camden

Camden Arachnobaron

looks good. i'm sure they're happy. but for your convenience, i'd buy some coco fiber. It holds moisture and you don't have to change it out, plus they can burrow in it.

10. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    Those aren't ivories, they're bumblebees. Ivories are much bigger and a different color and don't have a spine at the end of the telson. Both your millipedes are nice looking species but I've never seen either at or better than 2.5". How about a ruler in the photo?

11. EbonyKatana1664

EbonyKatana1664 Arachnosquire

Awesome pic you have there.

12. oldmanofthesea

oldmanofthesea Arachnoknight

Nice! Congratulations on your collection. Ron

13. ecooper

ecooper Arachnoknight

14. sr20det510

sr20det510 Arachnoknight

Very cool!
    How's the bedding working out?

15. moghue

moghue Arachnosquire

Very nice. Just wish we had some of those up here in delaware. Heck i have looked up here as i know we are supposed to have some type of millipede but no luck yet. I really need to take a trip florida seems like most of the neat things are down that way

16. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

A good quality compost would be MUCH better than coco fiber.