Millipede Behavior

pancakesfordinner

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I recently got an ivory millipede, I have other arthropods but first time keeping a millipede. I checked on it today and watched it for awhile. It seemed to be grooming itself but then it started flailing the upper 1/4 of its body and sort of wiped its dorsal side back and forth across the substrate. I'd compare it to a dog trying to scratch its back in the grass. Then it moved on normally.

There are no marks, damage, or dirt on its body. Its mobility seems fine, all legs working okay. I hadn't handled it and wasn't moving the enclosure, just opened the lid.

Does anyone know what causes this? It was in a container of damp soil in the store so I just copied that but after reading around on here it seems like I should change that up. So I wondered, if the soil is too damp or otherwise unsuitable, will it bother skin and it will try to wipe itself off or something? Or what is going on here?

Thanks

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
it started flailing the upper 1/4 of its body
All my invories have done this. There's one doing it right now. Flailing aimlessly into the air.
I have no idea why!
I keep them in a communal set up with other millipedes, and the others don't flail about.

What kind of soil are you using?

pancakesfordinner

Arachnopeon
All my invories have done this. There's one doing it right now. Flailing aimlessly into the air.
I have no idea why!
I keep them in a communal set up with other millipedes, and the others don't flail about.

What kind of soil are you using?
Well I'm really glad to hear this-- as long as it doesn't seem to be a symptom of bad health or cage conditions, it's actually pretty cute. I got this video of it, does this look like the same thing?

I'm using bagged potting soil right now. The store kept it in soil with no other substrate, leaves, or hides, so I think that's where I can improve.

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
That is adorable! Maybe she had an itch? My ivory flails about a little bit, but not to that extent.

maggiedonut

Arachnosquire
mine flail and thrash around too i’ve heard it’s quite normal but not sure why they do it