Milky white liquid covering Avic Avic’s mouth

Triple6zae

Arachnopeon
57C4E6C0-1898-4CBA-80AC-7D1D6BE81FD2.jpeg I’ve had this sling for 12 days and from the beginning it’s been pretty slow moving, couldn’t climb right, but still a little bolty every now and then. I thought it was in pre molt so I’ve been keeping an eye on it and noticed a dry, almost crusty white spot on its mouth a couple days ago but today I noticed this milky white substance covering its mouth. wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I’ve had this sling for 12 days and from the beginning it’s been pretty slow moving, couldn’t climb right, but still a little bolty every now and then. I thought it was in pre molt so I’ve been keeping an eye on it and noticed a dry, almost crusty white spot on its mouth a couple days ago but today I noticed this milky white substance covering its mouth. wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is?
This is usually a sign of a nematode infection, but considering this is a spiderling I wouldn't know how it would have become infected. If you have additional tarantulas I would recommend separating the infected tarantula from the rest. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for a parasitic infection in tarantulas. The best you can do is just leave it as-is and hope it pulls through somehow.

Triple6zae

Arachnopeon
This is usually a sign of a nematode infection, but considering this is a spiderling I wouldn't know how it would have become infected. If you have additional tarantulas I would recommend separating the infected tarantula from the rest. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for a parasitic infection in tarantulas. The best you can do is just leave it as-is and hope it pulls through somehow.
I’ve had it separated from the others for the past few days, it’s slowed down quite a bit and seems to be ready to pass on unfortunately. I cleaned it’s mouth area as best I could and placed it in an ICU container. The container I purchased it in had these little black and white larvae looking things crawling around inside which I didn’t notice until after I got home and the vendor never mentioned anything wrong with the sling. I guess changing containers and switching the sub wasn’t enough.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
A. avicularia is still very often Wild caught. How large is the “sling”?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have no idea concerning the possible infection, but get it out of the ICU. That will kill your sling even faster!