Milk snake.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
I bought a Puebla milk snake on the 7th and have successfully fed it and handled it every other day. But he/she seems skittish still, I have the temps ranging from 33 degrees Celsius during the day and about 28 at night. I put a stick in there recently and he did some exploring around the cage, but most of the time he is just hiding under his cork. Is this normal? That picture is when I first got him before I put the aspen in there

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just observations of snakes, especially colubrids. Most are initially very nervous in strange circumstances and situations. They are also usually nocturnal and being out in the light makes them skittish. So what you are describing is completely normal. If it was friendly and docile I'd take that as a warning it may be unhealthy.
It will probably grow accustomed to you and the environment and become more friendly.

basin79

ArachnoGod
As above. Your snake needs a chance to settle in. He needs time to adjust and get used to his new surroundings. Give him a few weeks to get his bearings.

Also handling every other day is a tadicum excessive in my opinion.

Also you mention the temp. What the temp at the cool end?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I agree with the above. From my experience colubrids are fairly skittish for some time after you bring them in. For the next week or two try to only handle when really necessary. After that maybe every 4th day. As with most other snakes no handling the day before or for two days after feeding.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've owned a king and other snakes--- needs more time

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
From experience with the Ptyas around here, you need to give it a decade or two to calm down. IE some colubrids can be just plain pissy hissy fussy and you have to learn to work with them on their terms. And of course, you aren't a serious colubrid keeper until you bear a few of those serrated knife scars.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen one or two calm pueblans, but most tend to musk first and ask questions later. If not, then they're often looking for a chance to bolt. They're secretive snakes for the most part. Let it settle in then handle regularly in an attempt to acclimate it. Don't be surprised if it never grows out of its skittishness, however.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Well the thing is I never see the snake! It is always hiding under the bedding. He hasn't taken any food in a few days either. I haven't tried handling him but I do have a uvb next to him but not shining directly in. And still no activity