Microscope for sexing...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, stupid question.

I was at Toy 'R' Us yesterday buying a new pool. I was walking around with my neice, letting her pick out a new toy. Well, I noticed a toy-ish looking microscope.

Do yall, who use microscopes, believe it would do good on sexing a Ts molt?

I personally dont know a thing about them, and dont know if it would work.

It was only $30... So, do yall think it might be to cheap to do the trick?

*ETA*

I didnt actually pick it up and look at it, so I dont know nothing about it. However, it was with all the toys for insects...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sure it would work, but probably not for the smaller stuff.

Do you know what kind of zoom it has?

My scope has a 10x zoom and works pretty well.

Also, for $30, it might be worth trying. If it doesn't work out, give it to your neice. :)

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering about those as well if they would be any good. I think I would prefer to save and buy a more quality microscope, but I would be using it for more than just molts. The microscope I have now goes up to x30 magnification and it is sufficient for sexing molts as small as 1". If the microscope you saw has equivalent or higher magnification, it should work just fine. I think it would be a great idea as well as a great price.

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen 30x jewelers eye loupes for real cheap. See below....

Jeweler's Lighted Eye Loupe - 30X Power - 25mm Lens Overview - Online stores - Details

$4 online

Premium-quality magnification tool designed for professionals - super-useful for hobbies, arts & crafts and collectibles. LED lights for hours with included button-cell batteries; easy to change (tool included).. The classic jeweler's eye loupe - updated with LED-technology illumination; large 25mm lens. Powerful 30X magnification from optical-quality doublet glass lenses shows ultra-fine detail. Twin super-bright LED focus pure white light on subject to add extra clarity & definition. Lightweight ABS body with aluminum self-enclosing case; corrosion resistant. Essential jeweler's and watchmaker's tool; great for collectibles, photos & hobbies
Add to Shopping List

Online stores
Your location: Pittsburgh, PA 15206 - Change
Your location: Please enter a locationShow only: Google Checkout Free shipping New items

Relevance Seller rating Condition Tax and shipping Total price Base price
Amazon.com Show all 3Hide all 5,625 seller ratings New $3.69

Widget Supply 216 seller ratings New $5.97
Micro-Tools.com 8 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $9.80 $13.78 $3.98
Micro-Tools Show all 2Hide all No rating New $3.69

Widdingtons No rating New $3.98

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

WOW...I also just checked Ebay and they have alot of listings for 60x jewelers loupes for next to nothing! I think I'm going to try and grab one. Saw one that's currently .99c + 2.99 s&h!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies yall... I might actually just go ahead and buy the one pocket scope that was listed. The one with the 45x.

I personally do not see the point in spending a butt load of money on something that I will just use every once in a while. Heck, I only have 8 critters I want to try and confirm....

Personally, I am very interested in confirming the P. metallica! {D

The darlingi, and versicolor slings. I got plenty of those to have a good chance at a female or two. Haha!

Anywho, thanks again for the replies... I remember to take a gander at the zoom on the next one I see. If of course the one I get dont work.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just grabbed one from Ebay that adjusts from 60x to 100x !! Its a liitle bigger than the pocket ones and can be hand held or it fits vertically on a stand to use with slides. It was a "buy it now" for $7.99 - free shipping!

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone bought the led one and recieved it?
i havn't gotten mine yet

if so how is it working?
:confused:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah... now i feel dumb. i just started a thread on this same subject.. sorry guys:wall::wall: anyway i just found a old microscope i must have "aquired" some 10 years ago from my biology class in highschool. its a 45x90x? i was playin with my E. campestratus molt ( popped out yesterday) but it was too mangled to tell... besides that t is like .25" ... i DID however cut myself to look at my blood.. kinda cool cuz the zoom is so great that i can see individual cells floatin around{D

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
after re reading all your input i guess MINE is a bit over kill as well... cant wait till my P. regalis molts.... should be hittin the 3.5ish" mark with this up coming one. hopefully i can save this molt and get a confirmed sex

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a regular jewler's loupe that's 30x
and my 2i p.irminia slings molted into 3i a few days ago..

so i proceeded to soak it in soapy water

all i can see was a book lung
nothing else
i know it's a bit ambitious
but i wanted to see if i could see anything but i couldn't
:(
so maybe the 60x-100x isn't over kill if u are wanting to see such small molts...
darn shoulda bought that one instead
:(

oh well i can still buy it and use the other one i bought on ebay on the above posts to sex geckos
Amazon has a 60x-100x pocket microscope for about $12

hmmmm
http://www.amazon.com/Carson-MM-200-Micromax-60X-100X-Microscope/dp/B000P8AUMU/

Overkill, maybe?

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your looking for a very high quality microscope for under $150 bucks then check out Precision World on ebay.

I purchased the 20x 40x 80x for less than $140 bucks and couldn't have been more pleased with the quailty. Buy it off ebay from them and not their website. They are more expensive and don't offer frees shipping on the exact same item listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DISSECTING-BINOCULAR-STEREO-MICROSCOPE-20X-40X-80X-/170272500612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27a5082b84

Thanks for this link - I will be picking up one of these!

:smile:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I just would use a MAGnifying glass... but ok a microscope is kind of overkiLL!!!