Micro-climate results

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
How did you determine it was the heat that killed them?
Common sense and observation. The tarantulas that I kept in the 65-70 range didn't die or have cystes and not issues. One starts to make sense of these revelations after the years go by and the loss of life, time and hard earned money. You can't rush success. But you can ignore reality, just not the consequence of ignoring reality.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've had extended periods in summer where my room exceeded 90...while ts do get more lethargic as you exceed their optimum temps, I have never had one die.

This is the first I have heard of ts dying in temps in the mid-80's or even higher.....interesting though, I wonder what the differences between my experiences and @AgentD006las were.
Yeah, you know, while I love to say (but only in the case of shipping, delays and really hot temperatures) that 'cold T's arrive sluggish, hot T's arrive cooked', my room reached the temperature you had as well, in certain Summer days, and my M.robustum (is an example, but btw often those are sometimes viewed as 'delicate' and whatever) was perfectly fine, and was hot like if the hell's door opened :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Common sense and observation. The tarantulas that I kept in the 65-70 range didn't die or have cystes and not issues. One starts to make sense of these revelations after the years go by and the loss of life, time and hard earned money. You can't rush success. But you can ignore reality, just not the consequence of ignoring reality.
I still don't think it's conclusive. There could be a lot of other factors playing into this. 85 F is not a very high temperature and many tarantulas will encounter it for a prolonged time even in nature even in their retreats.

Here's a scientific publication regarding tarantula metabolism and temps.(@cold blood , if you are interested). They put the damaging temps higher than you do and claim that this species at least can handle temps of up to 95F without trouble. I know quite a few people (breeders) that are keeping their tarantulas at around 80 to 82F at all times without noticing any early deaths.

I'd agree that really high temps can seriously decrease a tarantulas life expectancy but I wouldn't consider 85F really high.

MKNoiL

Arachnopeon
I've had perfectly raised adults p. Miranda, p. Murinus, p. Irminia, A. Versicolor, A. Minatrix all die from prolonged heat exhuastion. They were kept at 85 degrees for 2 years continuously.
Man you are talking about a bit different thing I think 'cause @Spiderguy47 said:
It is essentially an incubator for slings. I used this for aproximately 4.5 months.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I've had tarantulas drop dead from increased temperatures.
Well, it is important not to exceed 50 degrees Celsius/122 degrees Fahrenheit :troll:

I think there are too many variables that could have caused the death of your tarantulas. Perhaps they died of heat exhaustion, but perhaps there was another husbandry variable/mistake responsible for your high death rate. For instance, what kind of heat source do you/did you use? Was it a heat mat under the terrarium, heat lamps? Do you use a thermostat in combination with your heat source? Did your spiders all die around the same time? Do you provide a water dish? Of course, you were keeping your tarantulas not as part of a scientific experiment, so I don't expect you to have kept track of more variables than temperature (and I doubt you monitored the temps 24/7). However, you therefore can't be dogmatic and say that you are 100% sure that heat killed your tarantulas. Perhaps you are just not so good at keeping your pets alive as other experienced keepers on AB ;)

This is again no scientific observation, but so far you seem to be the only person in this thread who has spiders dying because of high temperatures, which leads me to believe that heat was not the problem. I live in Bulgaria where the outside temperature in summer easily exceeds the 110 degrees Fahrenheit mark for extended periods. The temperature in my apartment often tips the lower 90s as I can't afford to have climate control running constantly. The only effect I noticed is that my spiders molt more frequently in summer than in winter.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well, it is important not to exceed 50 degrees Celsius/122 degrees Fahrenheit :troll:

I think there are too many variables that could have caused the death of your tarantulas. Perhaps they died of heat exhaustion, but perhaps there was another husbandry variable/mistake responsible for your high death rate. For instance, what kind of heat source do you/did you use? Was it a heat mat under the terrarium, heat lamps? Do you use a thermostat in combination with your heat source? Did your spiders all die around the same time? Do you provide a water dish? Of course, you were keeping your tarantulas not as part of a scientific experiment, so I don't expect you to have kept track of more variables than temperature (and I doubt you monitored the temps 24/7). However, you therefore can't be dogmatic and say that you are 100% sure that heat killed your tarantulas. Perhaps you are just not so good at keeping your pets alive as other experienced keepers on AB ;)

This is again no scientific observation, but so far you seem to be the only person in this thread who has spiders dying because of high temperatures, which leads me to believe that heat was not the problem. I live in Bulgaria where the outside temperature in summer easily exceeds the 110 degrees Fahrenheit mark for extended periods. The temperature in my apartment often tips the lower 90s as I can't afford to have climate control running constantly. The only effect I noticed is that my spiders molt more frequently in summer than in winter.
The difference between myself and other keepers is that my beliefs will not change. I'm not here to convince you to keep your pets another way. I can say with 100% certainty in my own mind that the prolonged heat reduced there life span. That's my belief, take it or leave it. The room temp was never below 85 degrees. (Might i add it had been maintained that way for 2 years in a row without a break. That doesn't mean winter time it was cold.summer time it was 90) The soil temps were 80-85 checked with a laser. The hunmidity had been kept as high as possible. The oil heater and 2 humidifiers was the climate control source. You can speculate i wasn't very good at taking care of tarantulas and well keep speculating. That's good for me to make you speculate.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
There's your culprit for at least 3 of the species you mentioned.
If you had a questioning mind you would ask how high is that. To answer your question 2 humidifiers kept the room 50-60% That's about the highest possible given that setup. And with those temps that's minimum to keep things from drying out. Aka spider jerky.

EDIT: Thanks for the lollipop grime reaper, these emoticons are new to me. I'm used to mentally stimulating logical dialog.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I wont get into this argument, as its very petty, but how can you be "100% certain" and also state that's your "belief"? Wouldn't it be a "fact"?

Just throwing it out there. You're starting to crack under everyone disagreeing with you it seems.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
OP.. Love the micro set up....great idea for those that live in cold winter climates and want to keep fragile slings more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Osullivan

Arachnosquire
The difference between myself and other keepers is that my beliefs will not change. I'm not here to convince you to keep your pets another way. I can say with 100% certainty in my own mind that the prolonged heat reduced there life span. That's my belief, take it or leave it. The room temp was never below 85 degrees. (Might i add it had been maintained that way for 2 years in a row without a break. That doesn't mean winter time it was cold.summer time it was 90) The soil temps were 80-85 checked with a laser. The hunmidity had been kept as high as possible. The oil heater and 2 humidifiers was the climate control source. You can speculate i wasn't very good at taking care of tarantulas and well keep speculating. That's good for me to make you speculate.
Maybe try a small fan to circulate and move the air around in well ventulated cages. I'm sure at some point in the day or night in the wild temperatures drop and a slight breeze can be felt. I think a bit of fresh air is good for t's as it it for everyone. I usually have it in for 4 hours a day but not spinning to high.