1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe (www.spidershoppe.com)

Discussion in 'Online Dealer Reviews' started by Frostbyte, May 7, 2003.

1. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade Planeswalker Old Timer

Advertisement
    Just got a great deal from Jacobi, couldn't have been happier with the specimens. Thanks man!

-Sean

2. swatc1h

swatc1h Arachnobaron Old Timer

CA
    Positive

Got my refund aweek or so. Busy guy, hard knox indeed. THKS MIC

3. Michael Jacobi

Michael Jacobi RETIRED/RARELY USE AB Arachnosupporter

www.spidershoppe.com now redirects to www.exoticfauna.com

I have closed my retail business (Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe) to focus on my magazine and other educational projects (e.g., instructional DVD, field research, lecturing, etc.). I primarily sell spiders I breed to other dealers and breeders, not direct to hobbyists.

Best regards, Michael

PS - See links in my signature below.

4. bliss

bliss Arachnoprince Old Timer

good shipping, good prices, beautiful little sling and freebie.

thanks michael!!! too bad you aren't gonna be selling direct to hobbyist anymore!!! LOL

5. Needles666

Needles666 Arachnosquire

Oh/Ky
    I recieved a nice little "Highland" P. Subfusca, along with a freebie P. Ornata from Michael yesterday (Friday).

Both were packed well, and the Ornata is already a little pig :)

Thanks! :clap:

6. Steve Nunn

Steve Nunn Arachnoprince Old Timer

2005/6 Australian export to Michael Jacobi.

Hello,
    It is with some concern I read all the positive reviews about Michael, my experience with him has been anything but. Following the intitial promises, I organised an exlusive export for the first time of Australian tarantulas to MJ in the US. He got his spiders, I'm still waiting to be paid.

Michael, several times you have written me explaining your problems, it seems now you are doing fine for yourself, why no contact???? I am avaialbe, I have been all along. You exused yourself last time we spoke, because you had just organised your trip with Andrew Smith and the Carpenters and had all your money apparently tied up in that trip. That was MY money friend, you went on your trip with them on my money. I don't like that you have not contacted me since, You paid the shipping fee for the export and so far, that has been it. 600.00, thanks, laughable mate.

So, in my experiences dealing with Michael, I cannot give positive and all happy goo goo remarks, because flat out, he simply does not deserve them. Shall I tell the folk the AMOUNT you owe me?? OR, shall we work together once more to correct YOUR mistake. Because mate, it WAS your mistake and I've said NOTHING to anyone about you, I've kept my mouth shut in the interests of friendship and the hope you would come good on your promises. I see that counted for nothing in the end, nothing :(

I thought we were friends, I wrote several articles for Arachnoculture Mag, for nothing. You made profit out of that too, again riding my back.

I hope you can see the forrest through the trees here and do right, make good on yoru promises mate, or else it all means nothing. You formerly have 1 week to contact me regarding fixing up the balance, if not I will proceed legally, I have recourse here via the Qld Govt export scheme, they have an excellent reputation with an office in NY, close enough to you to prosecute should you not contact me. And regarding the amount you owe me, it is definately enough to be proceeding the way I am, you crushed me in my first export year, it act6ually cost me to ship - I hope you understand my extreme dissapointment in you.

Thanks,
    Steve

7. Steve Nunn

Hello,
    I would like to add some more to the above posting, for a little more clarity.

My complaint and issue of non-payment is directed purely and solely to Michael Jacobi and NOT tarantulas.com. From what I understand, Alex, the man behind tarantulas.com is a very stand up person with a great reputation and a solid business. I need to emphasize that Michael's debt to me has absolutely nothing to do with Alex or tarantulas.com

I do not wish to for this negative review of Jacobi to influence or have any reflection on Alex' business, that was not my intention.

I still wait to be contatced by Michael, I guess he's calling my bluff and that is quite alright. I find it almost impossible to imagine he does not know of this posting, but on the same token I do not wish to intrude at tarantulas.com, that would not be fair to Alex and his business. In fact I'm a little shocked that Michael would risk injury to tarantulas.com for the sake of avoiding me, instead of posting a reply here to clarify things and clear Alex from this issue.

At the time I did business with Michael all those years ago, we conversed on these boards, so here is definately appropriate.

Alex, my sincere apologies to you, I only found out recently that tarantulas.com was your business and not Michael's.

Thankyou,
    Steve Nunn

8. Steve Nunn

Hello,
    MJ has privately contacted me in the matter and we have sorted out the issue with no further action needed or undertaken. It seems to me that Michael is working hard to make right on some old past issues while he was undergoing extrememly hard times.

I was bitter, but after MJ's reply to me I am satisfied that Michael IS trying to do right and I give him 100% support for his future in the hobby. Regardless of our private matter, he has done a lot for the hobby and deserves respect for that.

I fear that my post in too much haste and anger has permanently dinted MJ's reputation. That was not fair of me, the debt was private and apparently MJ had tried to contact me, but due to my old computer problems I was hard to get hold of.

So, the issue for me is over, thankyou for trying to get hold of me Michael and I hope I have not done damage that shoudl not have been inflicted.

Thanks,
    Steve Nunn

9. Michael Jacobi

Michael Jacobi RETIRED/RARELY USE AB Arachnosupporter

This thread has stalled due to the fact that in 2007 I closed my Spider Shoppe in order to run Tarantulas.com, a Seattle-based company owned by Alex Orleans. As many of you know, in early 2013 I suffered a devastating loss when my mother died in a tragic accident in her home. I left Seattle and settled back in Chicagoland to be with my family. Thus, Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe was reborn this spring and is in full operation again. As you can see my previous customers were very satisfied and the only blemish was posted by a supplier five years ago during another major life curveball (my divorce and closing of my business).

As I have returned to operating my own company, I hope you will again see positive reviews here. However, unlike many dealers, I NEVER solicit reviews. I feel that they really are of little use since they almost always positive and very biased. In short, they usually are glowing reviews from "fans". But, I thank anyone who has any comment - good or bad - that can help me and my customers to have the best experience.

All the best, Michael

10. ShredderEmp

ShredderEmp Arachnoprince

Positive. I feel like I just can't thank him enough, even though I already sent email to him just to say thanks haha.

On Saturday I went to the NARBC in Tinley Park looking to pick up a Rhopalurus junceus from him since he was the only person who I knew had them. I was so excited to finally get one. Good price and great species. I thought that it was going to be less colorful, but it was much brighter than I expected, which even better! Too bad I didn't have room for more.

11. Norm

Norm Arachnosquire

This is kind of an odd review. I just wrapped up a three way trade between Jason Newland (Protectyaaaneck on arachnoboards), Michael Jacobi, and myself. Awhile back I sent my end of a trade to Jason, along with an MM for breeder loan. Well, the loan was a success.

Jason had arrangements to trade his half of our sac with Michael. This is where the three way deal comes in. Jason, Michael, and I managed to strike up an arrangement to trade my half of me and Jason's loan. The two of them met this week did their transaction.

Their packaging was separate, but shipped all in one box. Everything arrived alive and appeared well fed. Their packing was terrific. I'm super pleased and hope to do business with both of these gentlemen in the future. I highly recommend either of these guys to anyone! :D

12. lagomorphette

lagomorphette Arachnosquire

5 stars/HIGHLY recommended!! (very pleased customer)

In late August/early September, 2013, I ordered a P. metallica & an O. phillipinus from Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe, which had outstanding prices for both species. We communicated a bit via email because the shipment would coincide with the Labor Day weekend, & Michael wanted to ensure successful & fast shipping. Also, I requested that the packaging be discreet; I prefer my live animal purchases be sent to my workplace, but I don't want to draw attention to that practice. All correspondence was polite, prompt, and professional, and, as promised, I received the nondescript package right on time.

The 2 spiderlings were larger than I expected, healthy, very active, and well fed. The packing job was outstanding--I'm attaching a photo so you can see what I mean. I am 120% happy with the transaction, and thus didn't hesitate to place another order with Mr. Jacobi this week.

If you order through his shop, don't expect anything less than true professionalism. The attention to detail on everything from the look of his website to the packing slip in an envelope addressed to me SHOWS that he is completely dedicated to not just selling inverts, but to doing it RIGHT.

5 stars from me,
    Jeni Wittrock in MN

MJacobiPackage.jpg

13. chirp

chirp Arachnopeon

Another satisfied customer. Ordered my little guy sunday night. He shipped monday and was here today packed inside a little miniature fortress lol.
    Thanks michael. beautiful specimen.

Josh
    Destin FL.

14. HorrorPhD

HorrorPhD Arachnosquire

I recently had a great experience ordering spiders from Michael. I ordered 6 spiders, to be picked up at the Tinley Park show. Since I was ill and couldn't make it, a friend of mine picked them up and transported them for me. What I received was amazing. Michael had the spiders well packed for travel, and each spider was individually housed in very nice display containers. Michael was very generous with what he sent, and the animals I received were above and beyond what I was expecting. I will definitely continue to do business with him when the opportunity arises. Thanks again! ~Jen :)

15. LordWaffle

LordWaffle Arachnobaron

Positive.

I meant to do this review back in March after I went to Tinley Park, but completely spaced. Over the course of a few months (between December and March) I ordered spiders from Michael to be picked up at the NARBC in Tinley Park. Each time I reserved and paid for a tarantula, he was very quick about replying to me and mark down in his inventory which spiders were mine. By the end of my continually adding more Ts to my order, I had reserved 2 G pulchra slings, a P metallica, and an X immanis. Since he had his stock with him at the convention, I also bought an M balfouri, another P metallica, a B smithi and an E campestratus. All of these spiders were in excellent health and in great containers that were fully set up. It's obvious that he cares very much for the tarantulas that he has in stock and each one was cared for like it was a pet, not a piece of inventory. I will most definitely be buying from Michael again in the near future and I can't recommend him enough.

16. Met up with Michael today to pick up 6 Ts. Entire process was easy and couldn't be happier with the slings and even came in there enclosures which was an added bonus. Incredibly satisfied and will def do business in the future with him!!

17. Oumriel

Oumriel Arachnosquire

I purchased 2 P. metallica slings last week. They arrived this morning nicely packaged. We unpacked them and they both were very active and well fed looking. I would definitely buy from him again.
    Rebecca

18. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

VA, USA
    Positive!
    This was my first transaction with Michael. Communication, packing, and condition of livestock were all exemplary. I will definitely be doing business with Mr. Jacobi again.

19. Tomoran

Tomoran Arachnoknight

Fantastic Seller!

I recently ordered from Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe during his recent sale. The prices were fantastic, and I was able to grab quite a few Ts from my wish list for awesome prices. Despite the fact that Mr. Jacobi was obviously fielding dozens of emails and pulling stock, his communication was excellent. When a T I wanted had sold out, he responded immediately with the info so that I had an opportunity to quickly adjust my order. Payment info and shipping info was sent promptly, and although I expected a delay in shipping due to the volume of business he was doing, my package was shipped as soon as I gave the go ahead. He even sent a little FAQ-style email with a lot of useful information and tips. Very cool. Packing was excellent, with foam insulation, heating pack, and air bag padding inside the box. Individual tarantulas were well-packed in dram bottles and the drams were then taped up in another layer of thick paper towel for added shock protection.

I could not be more pleased with my purchase from Micheal Jacobi’s Spider Shoppe. The prices were amazing, the communication was outstanding, the packing was perfect, and the animals were in great shape. This was an A+ experience, and I would definitely recommend Mr. Jacobi to others.

20. dactylus

dactylus Arachnobaron Old Timer

Total Customer Satisfaction

This review is two weeks overdue but it is one that I feel compelled to post even if it is a few weeks late. My thanks go out to Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe for a 100% positive transaction!!

Michael thank you very much for the nice box of animals that I received from you!! Everything arrived in superb condition!! Opening that box from you was just like having Christmas in May!!

As luck would have it I had been SWAMPED at work all week. I picked the FedEx box up at 0930 the morning of arrival but I got home LATE from work that Thursday and Friday. It took me two days to get everything unpacked and set up due to the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day!!

You pack a “bulletproof” box my friend! That box could have survived any natural disaster known to man. Thank you for that!!

I have known you by way of being a “customer” of yours from way back in the day when you were located in Tennessee. We have never met in person but I hope to be able to say hello to you personally in Tucson this summer. I appreciate your prompt responses to my multiple e-mail inquiries and your attention to detail!

Anyway, thanks again for everything. The beautiful animals that I received from you at a great price exceeded my expectations!!!!! Good luck with the Harpactira pulchripes project and the other rarities that you’re working with. I hope to be one of the lucky folks to reap the benefit of your husbandry efforts! I look forward to my next purchase from you.