1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexican red knee t only had a week never had one before . Need some advise

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Taffyboy1981, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Taffyboy1981

Taffyboy1981 Arachnopeon

Wales
    Advertisement
    We have had our t for a week now never had one before . But have noticed his rear end looking bald but dark underneath. He has been feeding fine but now stopped . Is he/she getting ready to molt or is he/she just had enough of feeding. He didn’t eat first day but did for two days after . It’s all new to us n no matter how much we look everything up don’t seem to get straight answers

Attached Files:

2. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnoknight Active Member

All signs that point to a soon moulting T.
    Make sure it has access to water and leave it alone.
    Definitely don’t try to touch it OR feed it. T’s in premolt are more defensive. And need to be left alone

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. MainMann

MainMann Arachnopeon Active Member

Yeah that T is in premolt, don't bug it too much and make sure it's waterdish is full, it should web up a molting matt/hammock, that's when you know it's about to molt in hours time, best of luck!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Sorry I have to disagree with the guys before me that T isn't due a moult they go a lot darker skinned than that sure it's bald but the underside is nearly white all it has done is kick a load of hairs. You said it never ate the 1st day but did the next 2? A spider that size and slow growing species I would feed once every 2 weeks defimetly not Consecutive days uve had it a week and by what you have said tried to feed it 3 times

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    Im actually not wholly convinced it's in premolt just yet. Abdomen is large but not shiny, and the dark markings you're seeing are from the internal organs - When a T is in heavy premolt, the sort of dark you'll be seeing looks like this;

However, it is indeed very fat and could be fed enough to last through to the next molt, so no need to be concerned if it isn't interested in food. Just make sure it has a full water dish, you could be in for a bit of a wait before it's ready to molt.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Did you read his comment who feeds any T 3 times a week no wonder it won't eat that's nothing to do with premolt anyway but looking at the pic you can clearly see its a fat ass T but it's not due a moult it will probably go without eating until it moults aswell

7. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

I have to agree with @Andrew Clayton and @Arachnophoric, that T isn't in premoult, at least not in heavy premoult maybe early stages. It could still take months for it to finally moult.

One thing is sure, it's definitely fat enough to go without food until it moults. ;) Maybe in a month, you could try to feed it a small prey item, but I'd definitely stop trying to feed it right now.

Please read this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
    It seems you do need to do a lot more research if you want to care for it properly.

Also, please post a picture of the whole enclosure, just to be sure it's safe for your T. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Sorry pal you couldn't be further from the truth lol what you said may be true for some specific species, but no where near them all though lay a matt to moult and if the do it can still be days even weeks before it moults my LP had a mat down for about 3 weeks before she eventually flipped

9. MainMann

MainMann Arachnopeon Active Member

I am in no way an expert and i was just stating after my very limited experience, and so far my vagans, boehmei, and LP had molted hours after they laid down their mats, but maybe that's just my spiders, after all their individual differences never cease to amaze me! And thank you for your info regarding how them laying down a molting mat doesn't mean they are in for an imminent molt.
    Sincerely, Maman

10. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

When I first got my T a Brachypelma hamorii just like yours I overfed and he had a big abdomen just like yours for 7 months before he finally moulted.
    I suspect you'll be waiting a while longer yet for him to moult.

The pic below is when a moult will be anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

That look, affectionately referred to as "shine hiney". That's when you know molting is nigh at hand.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Don't try to tell me you searched "is my T in premolt" on this site and couldn't find answers... this question is asked a hundred times a day :rolleyes:

Premolt is the single most pointless thing people focus on. If your T has a plump, smooth (as in, not shriveled/wrinkled) abdomen... whether it eats or not is of no consequence. It might just be full. A molt could still be months off and your T is going to remain full until then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FrDoc

Well, stated. Plus, if you really think about it, as soon as they molt they are technically in pre-molt, i,e., preparing in one way or another for the next molt. You know, like the moment after you’re born you’re in pre-death. Now that’s food for thought!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Photo on the left was taken weeks before moulting and the photo on the right was taken a couple of days before moulting. This is a fast growing species, so the length of time between these two indicators can be months for slower growers.
    While some individuals often do remove more urticating hair from their abdomens just before moulting, to use as protection in and around their moulting mat, an absence of hairs alone does not indicate that they are close to moulting.
    However, that bald patch can make it easier to see when some species are very much in pre-moult, like my Acanthoscurria geniculata female below.
    premoult.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Teal

That is my theory, too, and it has been discussed on here before... people insisted there are inbetween stages like "post-molt" and "inter-molt" or something silly :hilarious:

16. FrDoc

Like another one of my favorites, “sub-adult”.

17. Teal

Er, well... I do use that one :hilarious: I'll say a female T is "sub-adult" if she is sexually mature but not yet the full size for her species. I'm open to suggestions for a better term though :p

18. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon Active Member

I’m more concerned about all the hairs it’s lost. That’s a good indication of stress. Could you provide more pictures of your enclosure? Is the substrate moist?

• Disagree Disagree x 1