Mexican centipede- new species?

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
Pretty bad ass thanks for sharing. It looks very close to the ones from asia? but I am still rather new to centipedes so my opinion has no facts or anything

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Well you're right. That's why it caught my eye. Looks like some subspinipes variant to me

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I've seen this sp. before on INat and other sites; the thing appeared several times while searching for other sp. on the internet but I can't find it now.
I think they called it a Mexican Orange Leg. It has a huge ringfurrow despite its similarity to dehaani; so it is probably at least related to the polymorpha it is identified as.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
That pede has been popping up now and then for years, I used to think there might have been a mistake in the location claim but I'm a believer now. btw if you zoom out at that link above on the map you can view other pede pics and location. I found this heros variant pic that was taken in northern Mexico. https://static.inaturalist.org/photos/5584633/original.jpeg?1479837252
I do love the Mexican heros; the black antennae and feet are only a small addition to the regular arizonensis but makes the centipede much more interesting.
Mexico has some cool things, and I think that the Orange Leg could very well be a new species or one that is very obscure.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That heros has three tergites that are black behind the head too instead of one and thought it looked interesting. Yeah that'd be fun exploring around areas there, too bad it might not be the safest thing for me, not able to speak Spanish.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
That heros has three tergites that are black behind the head too instead of one and thought it looked interesting. Yeah that'd be fun exploring around areas there, too bad it might not be the safest thing for me, not able to speak Spanish.
Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith :troll:

Being under 18 and from France, count me out of the exploration program. lol

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
U.S. species are very commonly offered, and SA species are also available at higher prices. But in between these two areas, not a single species has made it to the hobby. Similarly, the US and SA centipedes are all scientifically described whereas the many Mexican and Central American species have very poor taxonomic information. Those few Scolopendromorphs you posted (the last one is AMAZING) are probably new species or previously described ones that have no information besides a binomial name.

Mexican millipedes are also very plentiful but hard to find in the hobby anywhere, despite their size, color, and diversity. (Messicobolus is one of my favorites)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know most of you know this but some won't. Some of those pics make good backgrounds on your computer screen. All you have to do if you want to set a pic as a background on your computer screen is right click on the pic, go down to "set as background" and left click on it.