Methods for "dispensing" fruit flies....

Twisted

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I have an A. Purpurea sling that of couse needs feeding. I don't have a good local source for pinhead crickets and can't justify ordering a grip of them for the one sling. I picked up a jar container of cultured flightless fruit flies. So far he seems to like eating them. He doesn't go looking for them but as soon as one gets near him he takes right away.

My question is does anyone have a good method of dispensing them? Its pretty sad that I open the lid and as a few of them "escape" I catch them by hand the best I can and drop them in with the sling. Its a matter of coordination and timing and a few always wander loose of course. Luckily they just drop into my aquarium where the fish eat them but there has got to be a better way of getting a few of them into the sling container.

Or does anyone have any better luck with any other feeder options?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those thing are so nasty IMO. I was using them to feed a tiny baby praying mantis. It's very hard to prevent escapees, I usually beat it against something a couple of times to knock them to the bottom before I open the lid. but I never found a good meathod of catching them and putting them in the enclosure before I decided I hated them and tossed them.

I know your pain though, When I kept small tree frogs I fed them pinheads and there was a while where no one had them. I wish I could help and recommend a different feeder, but once I ditched the fruitflies I started to just catch the seed moths (from the bird food) in my house and gave the mantis those. I would not recommend this or wild caught insects for your T.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I have an A. Purpurea sling that of couse needs feeding. I don't have a good local source for pinhead crickets and can't justify ordering a grip of them for the one sling. I picked up a jar container of cultured flightless fruit flies. So far he seems to like eating them. He doesn't go looking for them but as soon as one gets near him he takes right away.

My question is does anyone have a good method of dispensing them? Its pretty sad that I open the lid and as a few of them "escape" I catch them by hand the best I can and drop them in with the sling. Its a matter of coordination and timing and a few always wander loose of course. Luckily they just drop into my aquarium where the fish eat them but there has got to be a better way of getting a few of them into the sling container.

I 'sprinkle' a bunch of flies out of the culture vessel into a small plastic dish. Cover the dish and place it into your refrigerator for about 15 minutes, which will immobilize the flies. Then you can drop them into the enclosure as close as possible to the spider. The flies will become active again very quickly.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Almost all slings will take freshly killed food, and can be considered scavengers if the opportunity arises.

Go buy a dozen pinhead crickets, gutload them, feed your sling what it will eat, then throw the rest in the freezer. They will stay good for weeks and you won't have to worry about a cricket catching your sling during a molt and chewing on it. Just toss one in and take the remains out the next day.

I, and many others here have been doing this successfully for years. It's cheap and convenient. With one sling you won't need to stop into the LPS more than once a month....

Twisted

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Almost all slings will take freshly killed food, and can be considered scavengers if the opportunity arises.

Go buy a dozen pinhead crickets, gutload them, feed your sling what it will eat, then throw the rest in the freezer. They will stay good for weeks and you won't have to worry about a cricket catching your sling during a molt and chewing on it. Just toss one in and take the remains out the next day.

I, and many others here have been doing this successfully for years. It's cheap and convenient. With one sling you won't need to stop into the LPS more than once a month....
Thats not a bad idea but its not that I don't want to go to the LPS, just none of the local ones to me even carry pinheads.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just find one that sells ones on the smaller side and freeze them all. You can snip them in half with while frozen with no worries about the cricket being too big and strong for the sling. They will feed on dead insects that are bigger than thay are!

You'll get 24 good meals out of a dozen crickets, which will probably last longer than the fruitfly culture...

Randomhero148

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you have large crickets let them lay eggs into a container of substrate. In a week and half or so you should have tons of pin heads.. Just an idea.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those thing are so nasty IMO. I was using them to feed a tiny baby praying mantis. It's very hard to prevent escapees, I usually beat it against something a couple of times to knock them to the bottom before I open the lid. but I never found a good meathod of catching them and putting them in the enclosure before I decided I hated them and tossed them.

I know your pain though, When I kept small tree frogs I fed them pinheads and there was a while where no one had them.

I second this.

Same thing happened to me, before my colony had even been jump started I had tossed the container, found them gross...

I say cut a cricket in two, and you have food for two slings...
if it's a big crick just yank off a hind leg...

Those fruit flies just aren't for me... especially their reproductive cycle and having various containers... ugh... :embarrassed:

as for dispensing them though, shake'n'stun works...

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I knock the side of the container a few times and dump most of the flies into another tall deli cup, quickly closing both containers. Then I put the deli with just the flies in the freezeer for about 45-60 seconds. The flies will look dead but you can sprinkle them like salt and pepper into your deli cups. They will revive in a couple of minutes so if they show movement before I'm finished I stick them back into the freezer for another 30 seconds.

I'm trying to switch to bean weevils at the moment and can't say if they work well or not yet, but the weevils seem to be a lot cleaner than the fruit flies.

For just one sling, I'd take a mealworm and slice it into pieces and feed it to the sling. Fruit flies aren't worth the trouble unless you have lots of slings.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're feeding other tarantulas, just pull the hoppers off of full size crickets and use them to feed your small slings. Di

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use a giant paper funnel to funnel them into small blood vials, then segment them into other vials until I have 3 per vial.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oddly, my slings dont' seem to eat pre-killed crix. I've been using fruitflies for a while now. Still can't figure out how to make mold-free media.

Vaughn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Put them in the refrigerator for about a minute , shake out into a deli cup what you need then feed . They thaw rather quickly so be quick about it .

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've set up a bunch of fruit fly cultures in small bottles (Starbuck's coffee bottles). I bought the media from a commercial online source, and haven't had much problem with mold. I modified the lids of the jars by cutting a small hole in the center, and I plug this hole with a piece of foam rubber. To get a few flies out I tap the bottle a few times and remove the foam. Place an inverted vial over the hole, and the flies climb up into the vial. When you've got enough, plug the hole again.

My wife has a slightly different approach. She taps the bottle a couple times to get most of the flies away from the lid, removes the lid and taps the first flies to emerge onto the counter. Replace the lid, capture the few escaped flies by placing inverted vials over them. The flies almost always climb quickly up into the vials, and it's easy to tap the vials and dump the flies into the spider container.

This is all with the flightless D. hydei flies. Flying D. melanogaster is a different story. Stick the bottle in the refrigerator until they deactivate. Tap the bottle a couple times to get them to let go of the lid, then open the bottle and dump a few flies into whatever container you want them in. Or even just hold the lid of the fly bottle over the spider container and tap it a couple times to drop the few that always remain clinging to the lid.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same topic, different question: When it's time to clean out the container( ie moldy media, soggy tissue/coffee liner) what's the best way to move all of the live fruitflies to a new container, which has fresh media and tissue? I've been doing this outdoors, basically just opening both containers, and "pouring" the flies into the new container.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Same topic, different question: When it's time to clean out the container( ie moldy media, soggy tissue/coffee liner) what's the best way to move all of the live fruitflies to a new container, which has fresh media and tissue? I've been doing this outdoors, basically just opening both containers, and "pouring" the flies into the new container.
Your not supposed to clean out fruit fly containers, you just pour some flies into a new container to start a new colony.

I really don't understand the escaping problem you guys are talking about. I have 1000+ and I don't have any escapees. You need a tall enough container so that all of them don't come up at when you open the lid. Bang the top before opening, and dump which ever ones come out into an climb-proof container.

These guys really aren't all that nasty, and they are defiantly cleaner than roaches and crickets. It all depends on the type of medium you use.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When the food in a container is pretty much used up, or if the fly populations starts to drop, it's time to change containers. I usually do this with two or three containers at a time. I make some fresh media and set up the new containers. While the media in the new containers is cooling I have the old containers in the refrigerator. Then dump the remaining flies from the old containers into the new ones. D. melanogaster will have new flies appearing much quicker than D. hydei. Since it takes a while for either to start producing, it helps to have colonies of flies and only change out about a third of them at a time. That way you'll always have a couple at maximum production and a couple fresh ones starting.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Interesting thread. I just started feeding my H. maculata spiderling flightless fruit flies. I bought a pre-made culture at a pet store for five bucks or so. I tap them to the bottom and then salt-shaker them out into the s'ling's house. S/he LOVES them. Eats them like crazy, and I find it very convenient.

Nak