1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messed up claw, disease? Injury?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by FrankiePinchinatti, Oct 9, 2019.

1. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    So I just checked on my h. troglodytes and noticed that one of them has had their claw turn brown and it looks like he can't use it anymore. I'm really confused by what is going on. He doesn't do anything so I can't imagine how he would be able to injure it so I am leaning towards a disease, but has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Attached Files:

2. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnoknight Active Member

I have no clue, you may try the search function here. I would imagine mycosis would be dark not light but it looks like you are keeping the substrate dry.

3. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

I'm not the most experienced with scorps so I can't say too much besides keeping an eye out on her behaviors and if she eats well. Also it's a she and not a he.

4. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

I can't be 100% certain without seeing the scorpion, but I've seen a scorpions that had the claw die while still attached. I would assume a disease or some sort of injury. The claw drains and dries out while still attached to the scorpion. The insides are hollow.

5. Outpost31Survivor

I found something very interesting on the old defunct American Tarantula Society forum in the ninth paragraph in JMB's response:

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=15814

6. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnosquire Active Member

Oh wow, that response is pretty frightening, hopefully that's not what I have here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Outpost31Survivor

Yeah I hope this is not case either. I did do a search and found a thread where another member of this community had to amputate a flat rock scorpion's claw. It fully recovered and he has even bred it since.

On another note: we might have identified the culprit behind the hollow claws. I have never seen or heard of this terrible affliction before.