Mesh Tape to Prevent Escape

mickiem

Arachnoprince
What do you do to prevent babies from escaping? I have seen a mesh tape that is placed over drilled holes but I can't find it. I have bought tiny screen but I think it is still too big. Right now I just have M hissers but am planning for more.

Scooterscooby

Arachnopeon
A 2-3" layer of vasoline around the top of the tank seems to be effective for my hisser nymphs. That way, they never make it to the ventilation holes at the top. I just make sure that it stays clean and replace it every now and then (not very often). You could try that and then also cover the ventilation holes with mesh (something wire, since I've seen an adult chew through a mesh shipping bag), just to be extra safe.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
A 2-3" layer of vasoline around the top of the tank seems to be effective for my hisser nymphs. That way, they never make it to the ventilation holes at the top. I just make sure that it stays clean and replace it every now and then (not very often). You could try that and then also cover the ventilation holes with mesh (something wire, since I've seen an adult chew through a mesh shipping bag), just to be extra safe.
Thank you! I had heard that before, I'll try it.

Redmont

The collector
For hissers I use gasket containers I bealeve from target they work very good, I then cut a hole in the top of the cage and hot glue aluminum window screen over the hole this iliminates the use of nasty, messy petroleum jelly

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
What do you do to prevent babies from escaping? I have seen a mesh tape that is placed over drilled holes but I can't find it. I have bought tiny screen but I think it is still too big. Right now I just have M hissers but am planning for more.
You can always use packaging tape, then use a small pin to make the holes - it worked well when I made holes too big for one of my enclosures, the slings were tiny, it would do until you get the mesh tape you're referring to.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use clear packing tape around the lip of the container. They have to be wiped clean every so often. If the tiny holes are on the vertical wall below the lip, you can put the tape over the holes and poke holes on the tape. As long as the surface is slick, they won't be able to climb.