Merge millipedes into Insects, Other Inverts, and Arthropods

Would you support merging millipedes into IOIaA?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, leave the Myriapods forum alone

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, create two separate forums specifically for centipedes and millipedes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Millipedes and centipedes are extremely different creatures. A lot of people seem to go to Myriapods only to post/comment on one of the two. Therefore, imo, it should be renamed to Centipedes and millipedes be merged into Insects, Other Invertebrates, and Arthropods. Or create an entirely new subforum for millipedes.

Thoughts?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Interesting. I'm not into Centipedes at all although I do enjoy learning a little about them by having the two topics together. I definitely am more interested in Insects, Others.... There are a lot more commonalities in that group. It would be awesome to have a Millipede section of it's own, but then others may not take the opportunity to learn more about them as they would in shared categories. And now I have friends that only keep centipedes. (weirdos) :rolleyes: But I don't care for another forum I visit occasionally because they have everything together. I enjoy AB. :wacky::happy:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Interesting. I'm not into Centipedes at all although I do enjoy learning a little about them by having the two topics together. I definitely am more interested in Insects, Others.... There are a lot more commonalities in that group. It would be awesome to have a Millipede section of it's own, but then others may not take the opportunity to learn more about them as they would in shared categories. And now I have friends that only keep centipedes. (weirdos) :rolleyes: But I don't care for another forum I visit occasionally because they have everything together. I enjoy AB. :wacky::happy:
You do have a point with learning about other inverts. I just think it would be better to categorize slow, docile herbivores with the Insects and Other Inverts subforum, since we mainly seem to talk about beetles and roaches there, and like you said, they have more in common with millipedes than centipedes do as fast, grumpy carnivores. And millipedes seem to get drowned out in Myriapods oftentimes because people talk a lot more about centipedes.
I don't think it would be a very good idea to make millipedes their very own section because of the reason you mentioned and the low amount of discussion surrounding them -- it mostly just seems to be picture sharing in large threads.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep neither centipedes nor millipedes, but I'd have to say no. Being slow or docile does not make an animal an insect - assassin bugs are fierce predators and are insects. The fact of the matter is that centipedes and millipedes are of the subphylum Myriapoda. Placing millipedes in the Insects subforum would be a blatant dismissal of basic taxonomy.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I keep neither centipedes nor millipedes, but I'd have to say no. Being slow or docile does not make an animal an insect - assassin bugs are fierce predators and are insects. The fact of the matter is that centipedes and millipedes are of the subphylum Myriapoda. Placing millipedes in the Insects subforum would be a blatant dismissal of basic taxonomy.
I'm aware of that. It's not specifically for insects, which is why I think they should be put there instead - it's Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods. If it were specifically for insects, I definitely wouldn't be arguing for inclusion of millipedes there. Of course there are predators in Insecta; it's a huge group and I'm not trying to deny that. The way the discussion works here, though, is that herbivores/omnivores (sometimes assassins and mantids) receive more attention in IOIA and carnivores receive more attention in Myriapods, at least from what I've seen. I like millipedes a lot and don't care much for centipedes, and as a result, I don't visit Myriapods that much because I have to sort through the large number of posts about centipedes. I'd personally be fine with going through IOIA to find millipede threads because I can find interesting/informative threads about roaches and beetles at the same time. It's probably not the same for everyone, but since those are often similar to millipedes in dietary and care requirements, there is probably more overlap there than in the Myriapods section with centipedes. And for those who prefer centipedes and don't like slow bugs as much, sorting through millipede posts must be boring.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm aware of that. It's not specifically for insects, which is why I think they should be put there instead - it's Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods. If it were specifically for insects, I definitely wouldn't be arguing for inclusion of millipedes there. Of course there are predators in Insecta; it's a huge group and I'm not trying to deny that. The way the discussion works here, though, is that herbivores/omnivores (sometimes assassins and mantids) receive more attention in IOIA and carnivores receive more attention in Myriapods, at least from what I've seen. I like millipedes a lot and don't care much for centipedes, and as a result, I don't visit Myriapods that much because I have to sort through the large number of posts about centipedes. I'd personally be fine with going through IOIA to find millipede threads because I can find interesting/informative threads about roaches and beetles at the same time. It's probably not the same for everyone, but since those are often similar to millipedes in dietary and care requirements, there is probably more overlap there than in the Myriapods section with centipedes. And for those who prefer centipedes and don't like slow bugs as much, sorting through millipede posts must be boring.

I understand where you're coming from, but the point stands that there is a dedicated Myriapod subforum. If such a forum exists, then that is likely where all Myriapods will stay.

Look at it this way. I mainly keep NW tarantulas, which are a far cry from OW species. A good chunk of threads in the Tarantulas subforum deals with OW. By your argument, the NW tarantulas would be moved elsewhere... but they shouldn't, because they're still a part of Theraphosidae.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I understand where you're coming from, but the point stands that there is a dedicated Myriapod subforum. If such a forum exists, then that is likely where all Myriapods will stay.
Probably the case, but one can hope.