Megaphobema Mesomelas Theories

Derivative

Arachnosquire
Ok so I have a theory on why Megaphobema Mesomelas die randomly and seem to be so fragile. I am by no means an expert on anything concerning tarantulas and I am looking for feedback on my theory. If anyone has theories of there own feel free to post them.
My theory is that they are overfed and they're organs cant keep up so they end up dying. This may sound ridiculous but here me out. Megaphobema Mesomelas are notorious for requiring lower temperatures and this might mean that when they are kept at the correct temperatures (60-67) their metabolism works much slower than the average tarantula. So often times the normal 3-4 crickets per week for a sling should realy be 1 cricket every 2 weeks for Megaphobema Mesomelas. Or for an adult the normal 2 dubia roaches per 2 weeks should be 1 dubia roach a month for Megaphobema Mesomelas. One reason I speculate overfeeding may be the cause of many Megaphobema Mesomelas's deaths is that when they die they tend to look overweight and almost bloated in a way.At least in the small sample size I have seen which is 2. I would speculate that their metabolism isn't fast enough when they are kept at correct temperatures to keep up with the average tarantula's food intake which may cause their organs to go into overdrive and eventually shutdown.
This at best pseudoscientific speculation because I have only seen 2 pictures of dead M. Mesomelas and they all looked bloated. It is important to note that this is an extremely small sample size and that my theory is very flawed in many ways. I am self admittedly a begginer in the tarantula hobby but I love doing research and speculating. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Na, they tend to cark it because people keep them too hot and not moist enough. They're reasonably fast growers so that already throws your slow metabolism theory out of the window.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My theory is that they are overfed and they're organs cant keep up so they end up dying.
It has nothing to do with M.mesomelas but I tell you now my theory about what you said. Recently, a lot of keepers (and some of those were nowhere near beginners) had T's (of various species and kind, from arboreals to burrowers etc) that died of what was viewed, as a somewhat consensus, of 'anal impaction'.

Now this is quite bizarre, and my theory about is that our T's lives definitely a quite comfy life (food/eating speaking) so IMO too much 'rounded' T's may risk that scenario more.

After all, hands down, no T's species whatsoever in their native wild habitat eats so much, and on a regular basis. I don't have proofs for my theory, obviously, but this keeps jumping to my mind when I hear of 'impaction' - T's that can't release anymore poop, basically.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I like you're theory you would think with the colder temps the metabolism would be slower but as @The Grym Reaper Said these are a fast growing species so even if the colder temps slow there metabolism down its still not enough to cause any affect, IMO its because of sub being left to dry too much or ventilation issues, you said about the abdomen on the 2 specimens you have seen looking bloated this could just purely be camera angle it's no definitive explanation to what could be happening as its such a small amount of sample to go off as a whole

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, Martin Garmarche said they don't need cool temperatures. :pompous:

P subfusca apparently need cool temps.. someone forgot to tell mine.

It's very likely important for breeding. But not for maintaining.

Derivative

Arachnosquire
Na, they tend to cark it because people keep them too hot and not moist enough. They're reasonably fast growers so that already throws your slow metabolism theory out of the window.
Lmao I should be done some more research.MASSIVE FACEPALM

I like you're theory you would think with the colder temps the metabolism would be slower but as @The Grym Reaper Said these are a fast growing species so even if the colder temps slow there metabolism down its still not enough to cause any affect, IMO its because of sub being left to dry too much or ventilation issues, you said about the abdomen on the 2 specimens you have seen looking bloated this could just purely be camera angle it's no definitive explanation to what could be happening as its such a small amount of sample to go off as a whole
Yeah it was more of a half assed speculation . To be fully honest I made this thread late at night and probably wasn't the most thorough or thoughtful.

Huh I never new that. Maybe it's somewhat similar to when people thought avics needed tons of humidity but they really needed good ventilation. Although I don't think cold temps harm M. Mesomelas unless they are below 58.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derivative

Arachnosquire
Holy Jesus...you think thats a normal feeding schedule?

1 a week is good for any sling.

Yeah, thats my understanding as well.
No I dont think its normal but all my friends say to feed 3-4. I guess they are wrong.

cold blood

Staff member
No I dont think its normal but all my friends say to feed 3-4. I guess they are wrong.
Well it is excessive, but its not a problem with slings, you simply cannot over feed them. Its just unnecessary, they can only grow so fast, and one doesn't need to feed that often to plump a sling unless the prey is very small.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
In the context of @Venom1080 ‘s post, I’m curious. Does anyone know first, or even second hand of someone successfully keeping this specimen at “normal” room temperature? I ask because I think it’s a very cool (no pun intended...well...) looking T, but unless I keep it in the fridge I have no place cool to facilitate proper environment, that is if indeed it needs to be kept cool.

basin79

ArachnoGod
In the context of @Venom1080 ‘s post, I’m curious. Does anyone know first, or even second hand of someone successfully keeping this specimen at “normal” room temperature? I ask because I think it’s a very cool (no pun intended...well...) looking T, but unless I keep it in the fridge I have no place cool to facilitate proper environment, that is if indeed it needs to be kept cool.
I bought an adult female. Kept between 65-70f for about 8 months. Great feeder. Woke 1 morning to find her dead in a corner. No death curl. Just dead. Devastated.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Yeah, initially I'd heard that CB specimens were more heat tolerant and do fine as long as you don't keep them ridiculously hot or let them dry out at all but according to a few members on here females die and males become infertile if kept higher than 21°C so heck knows.

I keep mine in the low-mid 20's (mid 70's for those who use °F) and I've not had any issues with it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sure. Martin Garmarche. He did a QnA on Reddit a while back. That was specifically one of the questions I asked him.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
What ever the case,this species of Megaps,can be a challenge.They are a beautiful T.
For @FrDoc ,normal room temps,as you well know,are different depending on where
you are.Colorado,Scotland and the UK,will be different.Florida,and southern regions
may prove to be a issue for mesomelas.
I kept mine in the mid 60,s,18 for Celsius,and food intake did not enter into it
as far as I could tell.
If anyone cares to,go to my gallery.I really liked these T,s.I had several that were
kept on dry sub.Did not see any issues,as far as moisture was concerned.The
dry sub was simply my forgetting to add water when I should have.The temps,
however were closely watched,and maintained.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I bought an adult female. Kept between 65-70f for about 8 months. Great feeder. Woke 1 morning to find her dead in a corner. No death curl. Just dead. Devastated.
It was an adult female when you bought it, so is it possible it died of old age? Unless you knew its age when you bought it. For that matter does anybody know the lifespan for females of this species? Maybe they just don't live as long as other T's.

basin79

ArachnoGod
It was an adult female when you bought it, so is it possible it died of old age? Unless you knew its age when you bought it. For that matter does anybody know the lifespan for females of this species? Maybe they just don't live as long as other T's.
No idea of her age so could be possible although I'd guess it will of been something wrong on my end.

Urthstrype

Arachnopeon
I've kept a sub adult female for about three months now. I keep her in a well ventilated enclosure with moist substrate in my t room that stays at a constant 80 degrees. She ate like a pig and molted a week ago just fine. I know the keeper who raised her very well, he kept her in the 70-75 range and raised her up to 4-5 inches no problem. Not a long time to keep her so doesn't prove anything, but I still thought it may be useful. I will also post if there end up being any problems. My theory is they're just like any other moisture dependent species, people get the moisture and or ventilation wrong and have problems.