Megaphobema mesomelas enclosure

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
Hello all. I was trying to do some research on the M. mesomelas tarantulas and couldn’t find a whole lot, or maybe I wasn’t looking enough. What would be a decent enclosure for a 1” sling? Do they prefer damp or dry sub? Are they kept the same as the M. robustum? Any help would be appreciated!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
well if you said any help: it should be pretty much the same as the robustum. and most stings go into small delis

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Pretty sure they're kept similar to M. robustum - deep, damp substrate is a must.

I can't swear to it, but I believe I've read that this species specifically is a bit more sensitive to higher temps than most Ts and does better when kept cooler.

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
Pretty sure they're kept similar to M. robustum - deep, damp substrate is a must.

I can't swear to it, but I believe I've read that this species specifically is a bit more sensitive to higher temps than most Ts and does better when kept cooler.
Thanks for your reply! I did find info on the robustum and was hoping it was the same kind of care for both.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They wont burrow as much as robustum.

Keep temps 16-21c and keep all sub moist but not soaking.

boina

Lady of the mites
These are not a good beginner species - they are very unforgiving of husbandry mistakes. So here are the details:

1. Keep moist, but never wet, at all times. Never, and I mean never, let it dry out. Dry sub = dead tarantula. Never let it get too wet either, though. Too wet and they may die, too.

2. Good ventilation is essential.

3. Keep temperatures low, lower as you'd usually keep your tarantulas. As Kezy said: 16-21C, that's 60 to 70F for you Americans. Yes, really that low. I hope you have good A/C because I don't see them surviving Texas heat in summer, at least not without damage. If it gets too hot they stop feeding first - and then you'll know it's time to lower the temps and/or up the moisture. High temperatures even for short periods also seem to make them sterile.

4. These are voracious eaters that put A. geniculata to shame. Never get your fingers in striking distance of a M. mesomelas - they attack everthing to test it for food value.

Btw, that's not really how you keep M. robustum - M. mesomelas is a very special case. They are from continually wet, foggy, windy forrests high up (above 2000m / 6500 ft) the Costa Rican mountains.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What would be a decent enclosure for a 1” sling?
This was what I kept mine in.

sling enclosure2.JPG

Keep them relatively cool (CB specimens are supposedly more tolerant of higher temps than their WC brethren) and keep the substrate perpetually moist (not sopping wet but don't ever let it dry out fully). They won't burrow anywhere near as much as M. robustum but you should provide enough sub for them to burrow if they choose to.

Keep temps 16-21c
I keep mine around 25°C and I've not had any issues, making sure they never dry out is the main thing IIRC.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
When I was looking into getting this species (I still want to - some day) I remember reading about people using laptop cooling pads to keep the temperature down. If I remember right (its been awhile) it was on Arachnoboards, you could do a search if you're interested.

boina

Lady of the mites
I keep mine around 25°C and I've not had any issues,
From what I've heard the main thing is you can forget about the males if they've been raised at that temp, because most likely they will be sterile. Not sure about the females.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah. Males will be sterile.

Have heard females dying at higher temps. I personally wouldnt risk it.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I lost an absolutely stunning adult female. Not sure what I did wrong. Was right as a clock for months then just found her dead in the corner of her enclosure. No death curl. Just lifeless. Absolutely gutting.

Would absolutely love to own another but with not knowing what I did wrong I'm not prepared to risk another with me.

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
These are not a good beginner species - they are very unforgiving of husbandry mistakes. So here are the details:

1. Keep moist, but never wet, at all times. Never, and I mean never, let it dry out. Dry sub = dead tarantula. Never let it get too wet either, though. Too wet and they may die, too.

2. Good ventilation is essential.

3. Keep temperatures low, lower as you'd usually keep your tarantulas. As Kezy said: 16-21C, that's 60 to 70F for you Americans. Yes, really that low. I hope you have good A/C because I don't see them surviving Texas heat in summer, at least not without damage. If it gets too hot they stop feeding first - and then you'll know it's time to lower the temps and/or up the moisture. High temperatures even for short periods also seem to make them sterile.

4. These are voracious eaters that put A. geniculata to shame. Never get your fingers in striking distance of a M. mesomelas - they attack everthing to test it for food value.

Btw, that's not really how you keep M. robustum - M. mesomelas is a very special case. They are from continually wet, foggy, windy forrests high up (above 2000m / 6500 ft) the Costa Rican mountains.
Hmm, so they wouldn’t really survive if kept in the same room as my C. versi? Your right about summer in Texas, I usually keep it around 72-73F in my house. Thanks for your reply, I definitely appreciate it!

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
When I was looking into getting this species (I still want to - some day) I remember reading about people using laptop cooling pads to keep the temperature down. If I remember right (its been awhile) it was on Arachnoboards, you could do a search if you're interested.
Will do, thanks!

boina

Lady of the mites
Hmm, so they wouldn’t really survive if kept in the same room as my C. versi? Your right about summer in Texas, I usually keep it around 72-73F in my house. Thanks for your reply, I definitely appreciate it!
Well, that's not that high a temp, I'm sure that will work. I keep my M. mesomelas on the lowest shelf where it is usually a couple of degrees cooler that in the upper shelves. That way M. mesomelas gets 66 to sometimes up to 72F (temps vary in my house) while the rest is always above 68F and usually a little higher. Works fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
From what I've heard the main thing is you can forget about the males if they've been raised at that temp, because most likely they will be sterile. Not sure about the females.
That's news to me, as far as I was aware they shouldn't be kept over 26°C

boina

Lady of the mites
That's news to me, as far as I was aware they shouldn't be kept over 26°C
http://sericopelma.ch.celsius.ch-meta.net/zucht/zuchtberichte.html

The abstract is in English, though the rest is in German. The Author is one of the first people to ever breed this species and describes his difficulties in finding fertile males. He stresses how important low temps are for successful breeding. I met another experienced breeder at an expo (who bought my male) who told me he had already tried 5 males and never got a sac because people always keep them too warm. The consensus around here that you don't keep them above 21°C or you risk health problems. I've never heard that you can keep them as high as 25°C.

dord

Arachnopeon
It seems established that M. mesomelas thrive in a wide range of temperatures like most tarantulas... Though I do wonder if it or another factor truly causes sterility in males.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as i sm aware, they should be kept beliw 20 celcius with lots of soil