Megacormus spp

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I currently keep 3 different Megacormus sp. of which 2 are most likely new species (and both found by me, one not shown here). I love this species, very small, hence small container, and they seem to be happy with a cocos substrate and some small pieces of wood to hide underneath.

Megacormus sp with brood. Its most likely a new species from the state of Veracruz, discovered (if that's the right word) by me last year. I keep four specimen in captivity and am very happy with those additional little ones. Megacormus is steadily becoming my favorite scorpion genus.

Earlier this year I guided a team from UNAM (Including Oscar F. Francke) to one of the locations I had found this species and we collected around 10 of them between the 4 of us.

Moving a 2i Megacormus sp. to a different enclosure. The diameter of the straw is 6mm. I cut away a part and heated it to make the small platform, which sticks out 9mm. The scorpion itself is head to start of first tail segment est. 3 mm.

If the scorpion doesn't want to get off, blowing softly through the straw helps :).

Handsfree!

2i Megacormus sp.

I isolated 13 but over the past week 8 died. I think I should have started feeding them much sooner. If those 5 stay alive for another week I am convinced I can get them to at least 3rd instar, and I will have better luck with the other Megacormus sp. with brood (see next photo).

Different Megacormus sp; mom with 2i offspring. I already started to feed them pre-killed fruit flies but haven't seen them eating yet (mom, yes). This species is hard to find (took me 4 hrs to find one, but it turned out to be a gravid female).

I catch the fruit flies with a sock and vacuum cleaner; I suffocate them with the sock, and then bang the vacuum cleaner on their little fly heads. :}

By the way, note how easy it is to see the mom on the wood (that's how I found her) but how hard it is to spot the little ones, they really blend in.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can understand why this is your favourite genus! They are very nice to see from an aesthetic point of view..They seem a hybrid between a Chaerilid and a Vaejovid....Very curious of the identity of the new taxon (Megacormus bokmai?) you discovered! Please keep us posted :)

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

John, nice pictures again but I'm thinking we need to get Michiel into Facebook !

Chad

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

John, nice pictures again but I'm thinking we need to get Michiel into Facebook !

Chad
Hi Chad,

I hear that more often recently :) LOL
But because of my line of work, we are advised by the employer not to join these kinds of sites...

hypertension

Arachnopeon
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am really curious what is the protocol for naming newly discovered species?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Same specimen as female with offspring in last series I posted. The kids are now each in a small plastic cup grouped (12 + 10) in 2 plastic shoe boxes (IRIS).

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

(Same) Megacormus sp. adult female on the top of my middle finger. Head to start of first tail segment is about 1 cm.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks a lil goofy up close like that, almost like a cartoon scorp heh.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Those are gorgeous shots, I really have to get a camera that can achieve that sort of detail! Amazing scorpion!