Meeting other T keepers

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I seem to have the same problem; no T keepers anywhere near my parts of TX :(
I looked up Lufkin, are the roads even paved in your part of the state? Talk about the middle of nowhere! :O I'm near Austin so I'm hoping my luck is a little better.

Meeting T keepers?

Ewwwww. They're weird.
No they're cool I met one once! I basically stumbled into a networking event for anthropology students and the girl next to me had 27 tarantulas. Unfortunately I was on a date (that's not something I ever expected to describe as unfortunate...) and I would imagine it's frowned upon to get a girl's number while on a date with a different girl.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I looked up Lufkin, are the roads even paved in your part of the state? Talk about the middle of nowhere! :O I'm near Austin so I'm hoping my luck is a little better.
Most of em! But yes, middle of nowhere! Lol, population 33 thousand give or take. And it's like I'm the only one in my town out of all of them that keeps T's :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Try facebook? I've joined a Facebook page for local T keepers in my area...
Na, every FB Tarantula group I've joined (except the odd breeder's private group) I've had to leave because they're full of mob-minded idiots.

We're talking "trash all the sensible suggestions and then suggest getting Tappies/Psalmos/Pokies to a 15 year old kid who's never kept any exotic animals before and wants recommendations for a good starter T" or "The solution to every conceivable problem is to put the T in an ICU" levels of idiocy, you know, the sort of isht that makes you mutter "I call on you, Leviathan, to make it rain Pinhead facepalms for a thousand years" under your breath.

Me three.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I once met a tarantula keeper within 20 minutes of me. It was to take the only tarantula she had because it "took up too much space"

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I once met a tarantula keeper within 20 minutes of me. It was to take the only tarantula she had because it "took up too much space"
Wow, that sucks. Thinking that you will have somebody to share an interest with, only be taking her T because she was done with it.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Wow, that sucks. Thinking that you will have somebody to share an interest with, only be taking her T because she was done with it.
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much to come out of it. Anyone who wants to get rid of an old pet just because they want something else isn't really someone I'd want to interact with on a regular basis. Lol

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much to come out of it. Anyone who wants to get rid of an old pet just because they want something else isn't really someone I'd want to interact with on a regular basis. Lol
Hmm, people are funny (not in a good way), the good news is that you gave it a better home than the previous owner ever could. I wouldn't want to associate with such a person as well.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Hmm, people are funny (not in a good way), the good news is that you gave it a better home than the previous owner ever could. I wouldn't want to associate with such a person as well.
:rolleyes: Welp the T is obviously better off now.

Oh yeah, she's definitely in a better home now. And while getting a free tarantula was a reward in itself, I got the additional reward of this unsexed T turning out to be an adult female who likely has quite a few years left in her. :)

But so yeah, anyway, since I like invertebrates more than most people, I don't really have any suggestions on how to meet fellow arachnid enthusiats. Lol

Deb60

Arachnosquire
What one T takes up to much space ! My living room and small cabinet in my hallway hold the total of 30 , I've even taken the table over with them , so we eat our meals on trays now . Yeah my son needs to leave home cuz his taking up to much space in his bedroom . All jokes apart I do love him to bits ( but just think of that extra room , a nice T room ) .

Swoop

Arachnosquire
What one T takes up to much space ! My living room and small cabinet in my hallway hold the total of 30 , I've even taken the table over with them , so we eat our meals on trays now . Yeah my son needs to leave home cuz his taking up to much space in his bedroom . All jokes apart I do love him to bits ( but just think of that extra room , a nice T room ) .
Hahaha yeah, one of my roommates is moving out at the end of the year and the other roommate and I are already plotting what to do with his room. It's probably going to end up full of reloading presses and spiders.

Somebody mentioned a "Tappie," what's that?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Somebody mentioned a "Tappie," what's that?
That was me, it's a contraction of Tapinauchenius, a genus of very fast new world species with slightly more potent venom (a bite will probably ruin your day) than other new worlds.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Apparently Avics. It was the pretty girl that's in my profile pic. She was set up in a 10 gallon horizontal tank that was too big for her and completely barren of appropriate high-level foilage cover. Now she's in a large kritter keeper turned vertically with lots of hiding space up top. To be honest, I think the woman was just bored of the tarantula because she was stress curled in the corner all day and would hair whenever the woman or her children handled her