Meet Tiberius

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I got a new betta fish today...his name is James Tiberius Kirk, but Im just calling him Tiberius for short. ;)

Yes, I am a hard-core Kirk/ST TOS fan! ;P

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry to tell ya but if you keep the fighter in that bowl, it will probely only live for another 2-3 months. They perfer filtered wather, like that of a fish tank.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
sorry to tell ya but if you keep the fighter in that bowl, it will probely only live for another 2-3 months. They perfer filtered wather, like that of a fish tank.
Filtered water eh...hmm. Well, Ive kept bettas for ...Im not even sure, but I think 5 years, and most of them lived 2 or so years. I usually clean them quite regular, and scoop out the poop, and what not.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spider_savior said:
Filtered water eh...hmm. Well, Ive kept bettas for ...Im not even sure, but I think 5 years, and most of them lived 2 or so years. I usually clean them quite regular, and scoop out the poop, and what not.
2 years is pretty short. i keep them in a regular fish tank with a pump/filter, and keep them for twice or three times longer.

forgot to add that i have never had any sucess keeping them in " betta bowls".

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
2 years is pretty short. i keep them in a regular fish tank with a pump/filter, and keep them for twice or three times longer.

Hmm! Thankyou for letting me know. I know there are some smaller tanks that I can buy that can accomadate filters....anything to keep the boys happy. :) Maybe I will do that...Im ALWAYS open to improving my pets lives. :) Thanks!

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:

That's odd. The lifespan of bettas is known to be 2-3 years old. I wouldn't consider that to be "pretty short," just average. There are certainly bettas that can live up to 7 years or so, but I would not consider that the norm.

I have 2 bettas, I bought them almost 3 years ago. They've been in 3 gallon tanks with lots of plants... only one has a filter. I don't think keeping them in a small bowl will shorten their lifespans as long as you maintain them well; in the wild they often exist in small sporadic pools. The only reason I keep them in something larger is because whenever I try to feed them in small bowls, they flare up and strike the glass... I don't want any mechanical damage from that.

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
4-6 is normal for me. Its not normal for most becouse that keep them in the betta bowls. in the wild that are found in the rice pattys, which is far form small.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is it possible to house multiple betas in a large tank or is it a lost cuase and they are strictly solitary pets?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Paladin said:
is it possible to house multiple betas in a large tank or is it a lost cuase and they are strictly solitary pets?
Not do-able. Apparently, they will fight till one of them is dead, they are uber-aggressive. Even when you have breeding pair, they cant be kept together all the time Ive heard. How do they cope in the wild?! :?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Paladin said:
males will fight to the death. but you can put one male with as many females as you want. more the better because it reduces tthe stress of abuse from the male. I keep one male with 10 females. sometimes i turn off the filter and seperate the male(with a divider) and watch to see witch female is ready to breed. after the male made the nest, i will put them togather for the event(only takes a few min's). then you take the female out because she may eat the eggs. all and all its pretty easy.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
where do you buy female bettas? and how d\ue you tell them apart [or is hte female really drab] and is it easy to breed them?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Female bettas have much shorter fins than the males, also, they tend to have less color. Some I've seen could rival males in coloration, but not many. Breeding bettas isn't all that hard, but getting them to spawn can be frustrating. Sometimes a pair just doesn't get along, even though they may be ready to breed. I bred some earlier in the spring, the male would NOT breed with one of the females even though she was ready and he seemed to be also. He started courting the other one almost as soon as I put her in with him. Got some nice babies from that.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spider_savior said:
I got a new betta fish today...his name is James Tiberius Kirk, but Im just calling him Tiberius for short. ;)

Yes, I am a hard-core Kirk/ST TOS fan! ;P
BEAUTIFUL Betta! :eek: I love his colors! And the contrast to the pebbles is great. :) Great name, too! ;)

I've kept a Betta in an environment like that before, too, and mine lived for 3 years - which is the normal life expectancy, especially since they are full grown when we get them in all THAT glory. ;)

---
Wendy
---