1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medicines To Keep At Hand

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Arialflash, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Arialflash

Arialflash Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    As a fellow OW keeper, I think we should be prepared for the worst. I mean, OW T's are crazy and unpredictable. They're fast and dangerous. So, what medicines should we keep at hand? Maybe some suggestions on antibacterial ointment, pain relief, and some first aid stuff that way we can treat the wound before going to the ER?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I keep nothing at hand. Two years ago I had a severe infection, Staphylococcus aureus, due to a K-wire on my right shoulder that moved and tried to went off from my skin (basically a reverse/inside piercing) after almost 20 years (a result of a motorbike incident I had when I was a teen).

I've decided to hear Docs only when my shoulder was basically purple/red coloured like Nemesis of Resident Evil.

If my OW's will bite me they will die, I think :troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Award Award x 2
  3. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

10 of my 13 tarantulas are old worlds and I just keep some cannabis around for those just in case moments nothing else.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    Muscle relaxers.

In all seriousness, I keep rubbing alcohol at hand to disinfect.

5. Arialflash

Arialflash Arachnopeon

Hahah, what strain do you prefer lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

Unless you have access to anticonvulcents, Benzodiazepines, and muscles relaxants, whatever you have in your medkit is basically useless.. Even with hardcore Benzos and muscle relaxers the amount of pain management is negligible.

In many species that cause severe pain and waves of cramping there is a neurotoxic compound in there venom..Topical remedies won't do much. Even if they did treat the burning sensation on your skin, you are still going to suffer what feels like a deep tissue or bone wound..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    The only medicine you need is a bonesaw to amputate the affected limb (its pretty much a goner anyway) and some good ol Texas medicine. Now whether you interpret Texas medicine as a lot of alcohol or a large caliber handgun is up to you ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. Quinnk74

Quinnk74 Arachnopeon

9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

As an experienced keeper, the odds of getting bit go way down. In other words, your best medicine is to know what your doing...and not be in over your head.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

People may have found this funny, but its probably your best bet to be honest, aside from benedryl and a little rubbing alcohol..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

I was being serious. But what isnt cannabis good for, now thats a head scratcher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    Making any kind of decision at all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

You are thinking of booze.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Arialflash

Arialflash Arachnopeon

https://sting-kill.com

Have any of you heard of this? This thing works on bullet ants!

Heck, it even works on warrior wasps! (The most painful sting In the world!)

What I'm wondering is if it works on T venom. What do you guys think?

16. Chris LXXIX

Try 'you' can try but IMO a comparison can't be made because, while ain't an expert at all when it comes to those ant buggers, there's really a lot of different T's species (this only sticking to the NW's area) and their venom, even when viewed somewhat similar (e.g like when we say 'not medically significant', like in regards of G.rosea and A.geniculata, - just examples) is always different, while I don't know if there's, out there, so many species of 'bullet ants'. In sum, T's venom potency varies and differ, while bullet ants one is more knowed and a fact.

Also, even if I was never tagged by T's, so far (therefore, obviously, I can't have a really and reliable first hand/first finger :troll: opinion) I hardly doubt that, again, sticking to NW ones, their venom is so 'incredibly' painful to the point to even use something like that for ease the pain.

Majority of NW T's venom is, as far as I know, a mix of swelling and pure annoying stuff - like someone saying: 'dude... check how big and red my hand is' but no big deal uh.

Now the Chelicerae 'mechanical' punctures, lol, is by far more dangerous.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. crone

crone Arachnoangel

Yeah, I believe that. I wouldn't want to get tagged by my AF Aphonopelma chalcodes or my AF Brachypelma albopilosum.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris LXXIX

Yes :)

This is a thing that people, in general (even if I can understand why) always forget. Frankly, the mechanical biting damage caused by those hot, piercing Chelicerae would be pretty but pretty painful, and potentially dangerous for hand nerves etc - in a very unlucky case, of course, still, a thing to consider.

Definitely a serious scenario, unlike their very mild venom.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I don't even keep plasters in my house.
    Am I just really irresponsible?

20. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    None as it's best to avoid being bitten. However just in case I do have absorbine, stop pain, theragesic (pretty sure I spelled it wrong), neosporin and advil.