Meal worms lost in substrate?

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
A quick question, as I've recently got into T's . I'm more equipt for scorps. But I been feeding my little guy meal worms. 1 a day or 1 every 3 days depending how plump hes looking. Not sure on the species was a freebee with another t I got. But this guy loves to burrow. Dug out the entire bottom of the enclosure and very light webbing it appears. So today I dropped a meal worm in, he went for it but it dug into the dirt before he could get it. He was trying to dig it out but unfortunately got away. My question is, do I dig it out? Will it reappear? Or is it lost in the substrate? I mean, my T was really digging for it.. pressing down trying to get a bite to pull it out. His posture was cut.. all curled up trying to reach with his fangs. Anyways, is it gone now? Or is there something I can do without disturbing the burrow?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
First off, that is way too much food for a sling. They only need to be fed once a week.
Secondly, no, there isn't much you can do without destroying the burrow, although pictures would help. They often will come out at night, so you can snag it then; or the tarantula will catch it. You don't want to leave it in there however because it might decide to munch on your spider if it molts.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
This T is soooo chill.. his enclosure was alot cleaner but he keeps digging!! And it looks as if in the 10 mins I walked away he tried digging for that worm again and the burrow entrance is dug out further and fresh soil all over.

20190916_193402.jpg 20190916_193409.jpg 20190916_193445.jpg

Hes about 4.5 inches in diameter. Hes a big boy! Growing fast. But how do I go about getting it out? Transfer the t into another enclosure and dig it out? The worm dug into the wall of the burrow entrance.

P.s. this guy is active day and night. More active at night but it's normal to see this dude out in the day as well.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That was fast!
In theory, you could take the juvie out and sift the substrate, but I don't think that would be necessary.

Kind of looks like you have a Brachypelma albopilosum, but I'm not for sure.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Well, it was a adult meal worm, this guy takes them down like nothing. I swear he loves to wrastle them. Doesnt care for crickets now that hes had worms. I think he got lazy chasing them when a worm is handed to him. But now I'm paranoid about the worm eating him while molting. I'll do a temp transfer to an enclosure while I dig that motherlover up. But good to know I'm supposed to feed once a week. no wonder hes so fat and growing so fast.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Ha ha, awesome!

You'll want to edit your post for the language there though. That can get you kicked off here.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Crush the head of the worm next time and you won´t have this problem :)
I'll try that, he seems to have more interest in it when it moves, last time i fed with tongs he went for the tongs over the worm. But I'll try this head crushing thing. Could save me future headaches for sure.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I'll try that, he seems to have more interest in it when it moves, last time i fed with tongs he went for the tongs over the worm. But I'll try this head crushing thing. Could save me future headaches for sure.
It will still wriggle a bit, but it won´t be able to burrow and disappear into the substrate.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Kind of looks like you have a Brachypelma albopilosum, but I'm not for sure.
I have one and it doesn't look anything like that. There is a gallery where you can post and people will tell you what it is. I can't even guess I just know it doesn't look like mine LOL.
20190904_210458.jpg