Me again

Korben

Arachnopeon
im very sorry for making yet another thread but I need answers as quick as possible
My Brachypelma Vagans which is 5cm dls is coming tomorrow and I don’t know what enclosure to use
A 30x19x20cm
Or a 15x23x16cm
Someone previously said to use the larger however just seems too big so which on should I use, sorry

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Lemme see...I usually use a 5 inch by 5 inch (12.5cm) square enclosure between them being 1.5 inches (3.8cm) to 2.5 inches (6.3cm) DLS, and then I put them in something that is shoebox-sized until they get around 4.5 inches (11.4cm) DLS.

I would use the smaller of the two that you listed. That's plenty big enough.

Love my B. vagans! They're underrated IMO.

Korben

Arachnopeon
Lemme see...I usually use a 5 inch by 5 inch (12.5cm) square enclosure between them being 1.5 inches (3.8cm) to 2.5 inches (6.3cm) DLS, and then I put them in something that is shoebox-sized until they get around 4.5 inches (11.4cm) DLS.

I would use the smaller of the two that you listed. That's plenty big enough.

Love my B. vagans! They're underrated IMO.
My first T :p didn’t want to get something mainstream and didn’t look that

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That better?
Looking good :) A note on the pot, though. Cut it in half, and completely cut out the bottom. Then largely bury it in the substrate and make a 'cavern' with your hand on the inside. Tarantulas like tight, dark spots. No such thing as a claustrophobic spider! If it needs to make the burrow larger, it will do that on its own with time. Cutting the pot in half will allow the spider to widen the burrow if it so chooses.

And as a side, this species can be kept bone dry, but they do appreciate a bit of humidity. Just overflow the water dish every so often and your tarantula will thank you for it.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That’s pretty good, could even be a bit higher. Also this species prefers a bit of moisture in the substrate I’ve found. Helps them to dig.

Korben

Arachnopeon
Looking good :) A note on the pot, though. Cut it in half, and completely cut out the bottom. Then largely bury it in the substrate and make a 'cavern' with your hand on the inside. Tarantulas like tight, dark spots. No such thing as a claustrophobic spider! If it needs to make the burrow larger, it will do that on its own with time. Cutting the pot in half will allow the spider to widen the burrow if it so chooses.

And as a side, this species can be kept bone dry, but they do appreciate a bit of humidity. Just overflow the water dish every so often and your tarantula will thank you for it.
Was thinking that that would be better I’ll do that now, should I overfill when it arrives or hours or days after

Cut the bottom out and in half, it ok now?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Was thinking that that would be better I’ll do that now, should I overfill when it arrives or hours or days after
Doesn't matter, whatever you feel.

Cut the bottom out and in half, it ok now?
Yep, but I'd still bury it even more. The picture may be deceiving, but it still looks like a wide open entrance.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Set up looks good, enjoy your tarantula when it comes and post some pictures on here!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Basic rule for enclosures:

Ground dwellers need at least 3x legspan space, 1x legspan in height only to prevents accidents if possible.

Tree dwellers need at least 3x legspan in height, most are happy with 2x legspan in width and depth.