Please let me know what you think :)

The Seraph

Arachnolord
So i have seen For Sale A 3cm M . Balfouri. I might get it because
1. They are SUPER heavey webbers.
2. They are BEAUTIFUL.
3. I want to get into OW's
Please let me know what you think :)
What other tarantulas do you have? Do you have experience with flighty NW species?

Elliot Dash

Arachnopeon
What other tarantulas do you have? Do you have experience with flighty NW species?
No . The most aggresive T i have is an Unknown Brachypelma species . I have p. Irminia (known to be defendive) sling witch hasnt bit me or gave me a threat posture

cold blood

Staff member
Balfouri can be a bit reclusive and are quite fast....but theyre typically not all that defensive....they can make a good first OW.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well, well, well...... M. balfouri eh? not a bad choice, but super boring if you only get one. If you get a single one expect a really picky/finicky eater, reclusive spider, that runs away from almost everything that disturbs it the slightest (even the feeders sometimes). Mines is like this, but communal set-ups tend to get them out more often and better activity from what i've seen. Mines is a picky/finicky eater, which I can almost say they are terrible eaters. I plan to get more at the next expo (since I suspect mines to be a male), but if you want an honest opinion, this is from my own experience with them. The only good thing right now from them is the webbing (sort of).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My personal 2 cents would be to raise up that P. irminia to at least juvie/young adult size before jumping into OWs. Get some rehouses under your belt with a faster species that can definitely have an attitude - just wait till it gets some size on it and you could be seeing some pretty defensive behaviour. You shouldn't have to wait long since Psalmopoeus grow like weeds, and will give you very useful experience before you take a plunge into deeper waters. In the meantime you could even save up some cash and invest in a confirmed female when the time is right, if that's what you're wanting. I promise M. balfouri aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and their price may even drop some more with how many people seem to be working on breeding them lately.

My experience with mine has been pretty similar to @Liquifin - a picky eater that webs up and is incredibly skittish. Mine will hang out in the open more readily now that she's put on more size, but small disturbances send her running for her web tunnels. She's VERY fast, definitely more flight than fight, however M. balfouri can still throw attitude so be aware of that. Although I personally think there are better species for your first OW, M. balfouri can definitely fit the bill if that's what your heart is set on. :)

Elliot Dash

Arachnopeon
Well, well, well...... M. balfouri eh? not a bad choice, but super boring if you only get one. If you get a single one expect a really picky/finicky eater, reclusive spider, that runs away from almost everything that disturbs it the slightest (even the feeders sometimes). Mines is like this, but communal set-ups tend to get them out more often and better activity from what i've seen. Mines is a picky/finicky eater, which I can almost say they are terrible eaters. I plan to get more at the next expo (since I suspect mines to be a male), but if you want an honest opinion, this is from my own experience with them. The only good thing right now from them is the webbing (sort of).
Id love to have a communal but thet would be £75 where im buying from so unfotunatley no

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience.

Get an OW, and if you get tagged, oh well.

Get an advanced NW, like a Tapi for speed, or Psalmo for venom strength and speed

People will tell you either one is up to you.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think it is a good choice for a first OW sp. They can have a little attitude (i usually notice it when they are premolt) and are very fast and skittish.

They aren't the greatest eaters though so plan on feeding prekilled and smaller than usual prey items. J notice thar once mine got around 2-2.5" they started eating pretty well on medium red runners.

I would NOT reccomend a communal as an intro though. they are extremely skittish and fast when it's time to rehouse and it would be very plausible that one (or several) would bolt out and escape while trying to get a different one out during a rehouse.

To be clear, i personally am not against balfouri communes, i just wouldn't recomend starting with one.

I say if you have done the propper research and it is a species you want and you like the size/price of it, then get it and enjoy. They can be pet holes/webs but still one of my favorite sp.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I might get it because
1. They are SUPER heavey webbers.
2. They are BEAUTIFUL.
3. I want to get into OW's
Please let me know what you think
You already know they are heavy webbers and apparently you like that. Beautiful is subjective, so no need to argue about this point either.
That makes point three, the sole reason for this thread: you want to get an OW but you are not sure if you are ready.

If you need to ask, you already know the answer to that question ;)

If you want a colourful, heavy webber, go for a GBB. They are more visible too.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I personally think its all about how confident you feel in yourself whether it's time to move to OW or not but there has been a few good suggestions before me. My 1st OW is a Phormingochilus Everetti but it seems to be a lot calmer than my P. Cambrigei so I guess it's all about what OW you go for too

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Viper69 has a point! But i'd say that this speicies is very calm for an OW! It is not "Heteroscodra fast" eigher! If you are careful and show it respect i think it is ok!
This is where in my "humble opinion" terrariedesign comes to play! If you have a tank with deep substrate and a secure retreat, the spider retreats 99/100 times when you open the lid to water it!

If you have a barren cage with a thin layer of substrate.... mmmm go figure!!!

So yes, if one is a beginner and getting a old world! Do your homework! Design its terrarium well! And admire it from looking only!!!!

sasker

Arachnoprince
So yes, if one is a beginner and getting a old world! Do your homework! Design its terrarium well! And admire it from looking only!!!!
Still, rehousing day can be quite an adventure for a beginner :D

This is a 3 cm M. balfouri so it is a bit too small to place it in its ultimate enclosure.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mmm, but thats why they should get a M balfouri and not a Stromatopelma calceata!:dead: and if one do some research and are careful, i dont think a beginner has to many things to worry about!?