1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maturity ?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Jerry, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    Is sexual maturity of female tarantulas based solely on size or are there other signs I searched but couldn't find anything previously posted so a link to other posts would be awesome if there out there

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Best way of knowing for certain if a female is mature, would be to examine the spermathecae on the most recent molt.

Mature females will have darkened spermathecae.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

Interesting I'll have to make sure I pay attention to that with the next few molts

4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

They can mature at around 60-70% of max size IIRC but best way to know for sure is to check the moult and see if the spermathecae are sclerotised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

The reason I ask is my female Metallica is 5 " dls and I haven't measured my female vagans lately but she's getting Fairly large too

6. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

P. metallica are smaller Pokies. Your female is probably mature.

I am comfortable, for the most part, and have had success pairing females at 2/3rds of the maximum species size (which coincides with Grym's percentages).

• Like Like x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I would say with complete certainty that a 5" P. met would be mature without a doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

Now the question is breed or not to breed

9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

P mets- Yes, needed
    Vagans- No, not needed

P mets aren't the easiest to breed I've from what I learned from experienced P met breeders. I'm sure now that I wrote this, someone will say "all I did was throw a male/female together" To that I say, "you were lucky, good for us".

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

Yea I know what you mean the same thing happens to me I have a lot of research to do and then I'll make a decision and I would breed the vagans for the sole purpose of having a army of vagans's