Mating mantids question

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
Ok, I've seen lots of strange things since keeping mantids, but this is the one thing that stumps me; This happened to my D.Dessicata female a while back too, but I just bred my female P.Wahlbergii and right after separation, she ejected a small white thing from her genitalia. I don't know much about the details of mantid reproduction so if anyone knows ANYTHING, please help me...is she rejecting the male's spermatophore? Do mantids EVEN pass a spermatophore??

I didn't see this happening with an earlier Wahlbergii, but she's just laid her first ootheca so I'm assuming that all went well for her. Any clue anyone???

Thanks,
Evan

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In some insects, the male inserts a "plug" to prevent other males from mating with the female after he leaves. I have no idea if this happens with mantids however. Just a thought.

Wade

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never heard that male mantids leave sperm plugs, so since I am starting to try to breed mantids, I would also like to know if they do this or not.

Aubrey

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The sperm plug was just a guess on my part, I've never heard of them with mantids either.

I just cracked open the book "The Praying Mantids" edited by Prete, Wells, Wells and Hurd. I could find no mention of sperm plugs, but I did learn that there is a spermataphore and that sometimes the female rejects them, so that's likley what happened. What's not clear, however, is the question wether she ejected it before any of the spermatazoa drained from it. The book suggests it could be a method of "cryptic" female selection, meaning rejecting a male after mating has taken place.

Mantids will make infertile ootheca, so don't count your nymphs until they hatch. If the male is still among the living, it wouldn't hurt to pair them up again. On of the authors of the above book even said he usually waited until the female made at least one ootheca before attempting a breeding.

Wade

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
Hmm...that's what I was afraid of. I was also told that mantids fertilize internally...but I guess you proved otherwise. I've always wanted that book, maybe I should get it soon.

I also found another one of those white things at the bottom of the other female's mating enclosure, it was hollowed and dried-ish...so like you said, it could've been rejected or used up.

I'll wait to see if this female will deposit any oothecae and I'll try to remate her with another male later on. Thanks for your help Wade!

Take care,
Evan

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess since the spermataphore is inserted directly into the female it may still count as internal fertilization. Maybe.

The book doesn't say exactly what happens to spermataphores after the sperm is used, but it does mention that sometimes females will matabolize them without using the sperm, or sometimes they actually eat them. Weirdness.

Wade

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
I wish they'd have a picture of a mantid spermatophore, it would really help me out a lot.

The female just laid her ootheca this morning...exactly 2 days after mating. I'm hoping that she's laying it because it's fertile. I know for sure that if she hasn't mated, she could hold it in longer so I have my fingers crossed. But I'll remate her again before her next ootheca just in case.

Thanks,
Evan

Andi

Arachnopeon
Hy!!

I´m sure u found the spematophore and your ootheka is fertilized.....

Greetings, Andi