mating emps

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just witnessed my emps mating, but I don't think it was successful. I was under the impression that the entire spermatophore would be taken up by the female with nothing left behind. But when my male pulled the female on top of the spermatophore she immediately became horribly pissed, attacked the male, and when he got away she chased him around the tank. Finally she let him go and went into their shelter. The spermatophore looks untouched. Was this a failed attempt?

-Olan

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The spermataphore is actualy "glued" to the substrate and stays. Through a jerking action, the male causes it to act as sort of a plunger and pushes the sperm out. After this transfer, the game is over and the male usualy gets out of there quickly. Thus, what you saw could very well have been a succesful attempt. It would be very rare that it got to that stage and the female flipped out before accepting the sperm.

Cheers,
Dave

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Dave, maybe I have another 20 babies comming my way. Know of any good ways of getting rid of them all?

-Olan

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'd raise them until at least 3rd instar and then trade them to a pet shop or the likes.

Cheers,
Dave

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
davie davie, u got that right. i always trade my 3rd or 4th instar scorps to the reptile shops for adult scorps. it's good benefits for getting more scorps in the future.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Oi! Cut it out with this davie nonsense. Don't they teach kids manners in school anymore?

Cheers,
Dave

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dude, i was just messin around. but for real though on trading the scorps. it's freakin awesome.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll try the trading thing with the local exotic pet shop.
About the scorpion hunting- I went out with a little portable black light a few times but didn't find anything. I'm going to go to a rockier place and try again in a few nights.

-Olan

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Olan,

When we were down in Carlsbad for the ATS in June; all of the ones I found were near bushes/shrubs in the desert. There was a piece of carpet out there where I found three in the folds of the carpet! It was like hitting the scorp jackpot!

THe species we found down there were V.coahuilae and P.gracilor

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Don't forget the rails and fences around the oil company infastructure. That was where I caught about half of mine.

Cheers,
Dave