Material Toxicity List

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, guys. I just updated the master post.

Thoth:

I'm not worried about Ts getting poisoned from heavy metals by touching them. I'm worried about the heavy metals leeching into the moisture in the substrate and the spider ingesting or absorbing it from there.

I could have listed all the heavy metals but I tried to limit them to ones that a keeper might be tempted to drop in a cage. So no, Uranium is not safe for tarantulas either. ;) It makes a pretty orange glaze though which might be tempting.

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cutting the PVC with a pipe cutter will not release anything bad, it has to heat up. Put PVC on a band saw and it melts through it as much as cutting it. Most plastics only off gas when they get hot, which is why they say not to pop your leftovers in the microwave in a plastic container. I have used HDPE, ABS, polystyrene, PETE, PVC, and probably a few other plastics as enclosures, fixtures, decor, and other items for inverts with no ill effects.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
While I like the idea behind the thread.

More "homework" needs to be done.

There is a phrase that I tell my Chem students:

The dose makes the poison.

A few years ago we had a student die from drinking too much water ( fraternity hazing incident )
A chinese gymnist was caught taking Strychnine ( in small doses ) to increase muscle contractions.

If we had as much Cu in our system at T's do I'm sure we'd be in trouble.

Here's the way to stay safe: ( MY OPINION )

1 - Water: if anything can leach into it, that's bad. If it was sold for the food industry you can be fairly sure it's safe.

2 - Substances that might be listed as toxic:
- have to get into the T's system ( safe than sorry is ok )
- exposure for T's is diff that humans, mice, rats. LD50's are usually based on these and can differ HUGELY from species to species.
So while one substance can be fairly neutral or benign to us, it could prove toxic to our spiders.

Clean water, Food safe plastic containers, and glass

We are talking mostly water dishes and maybe building materials right?

The Cedar- and Substrate issues are well known and have been discussed ad nauseum.

Common sense will go a long way. Don't heat or grind your plastics (any and all ) near your T's. If the plastic stinks. ( don't use it )

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, Nerri, this is just supposed to be a thread on the structural materials used in T enclosures. I'm just trying to put together a preliminary list and, as stated, it's a work in progress.

What I'm trying to do is to put together a list that can just be a quick check when someone wants to put something new in their enclosures. I know I have personally had some face-palm moments where I put something very dangerous in there because I didn't know any better. :eek:

And you're right about the dose making the poison but it's still a bad idea to unnecessarily expose yourself (or in this case, your spider) to poisons unnecessarily.

Thanks for your input.

BurrowDweller:

Well, I moved ABS from "probably toxic" to just a warning about cutting. I'll look up PETE and add it to the list.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: I don't remember if I ever actually posted about making a list like this, but it's definitely something I've wanted to see for a while. Thank you for taking the time to get the ball rolling!

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Dang it!! I just made a step-up enclosure for my 1" Singapore blue. I made it out of a 2.5 gallon aquaruim and I made a custom acrylic lid with a stationary bottom part for substrate and a hinged top part for access (tank will be on its side). The problem is, I used brass hinges - I think. Eventhough they're outside the enclosure - should I pry them off and replace them? I don't want to kill the little thing when it's old enough to move in.
Whoah..

I think that is overkill.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think several items here need to be moved down in terms of danger level.
Has anyone ever had a spider die from contact with a tin can (I mean, besides being squashed by one)? How is the tin supposed to get in the tarantula's system in toxic levels? If you are not afriad to hold a tin can or a piece of PVC in your hand, or to consume food and water that have spent a lot of time in them, why worry about your T standing on it?

There also seems to be some confusion between substances known to be toxic to humans if you can get them in your system and substances that are known to be toxic to spiders. Spiders don't gnaw on metal and plastic typically, and I think what they can absorb through their feet must be minimal.

If the list is too paranoid people won't take it seriously.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tin can react and absorb into the soil if the soil is acidic. Tin salts are used as "organic insecticides."

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone know what silicones are ok and which ones are not for doing decorative backgrounds?

Nerri1029

Old Timer
My advice:

Use the clear aquarium silicone. but allow to harden for a few days before introducing the T.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For some very strange reason I can't edit the master post. Here is the entry on silicone that should be listed under "Known Safe:"

Silicone:
Silicone comes in everything from a gel to a dry lubricant. In and of itself it is harmless but care must be taken to choose a product that does not contain toxic solvents. Anything sold for the pet trade should be fine. Used as glass terrarium molding and as a resin for making backgrounds.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shoot, that really sucks for this post. I guess I'll have to re-post the entire list as a comment to this thread once a month or so as long as the discussion is active just to make it easier to read.

Pity...

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Does anyone know if schleich toys are safe as enclosure decor? I have some old schleich Dino's and I think they would look cool in enclosures.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Add ceder to the toxic list.
Does anyone know if schleich toys are safe as enclosure decor? I have some old schleich Dino's and I think they would look cool in enclosures.
no idea the spider might just web it up.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Add ceder to the toxic list.

no idea the spider might just web it up.
Fair enough. Also add any coniferous wood/leaf material to this list. They all produce natural pesticides affecting arachnids and insects. With some exceptions, pine beetles, conifer seed bug, etc.