Mask for burning ventilation holes

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I'm creating ventilation holes or cutting acrylic and plastic for my T enclosures, I use a soldering iron in place of a drill. Much much easier and no risk of cracking/breaking the plastic. I worry though about breathing the fumes. Can anyone recommend a good mask to help with that? Would a HEPA face mask work? Or is that overkill? Home Depot has some masks for sale with cartidge filters but I'm not sure if those are sufficient. My search online hasn't been fruitful....

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I used to use the chemical cartridges for working around acids and their fumes in an enclosed space(cleaning brass instruments). Admittedly, I haven't used a mask when burning vent holes in the past but it's probably a good idea even when doing it outside. That &#^% is quite toxic! I don't envy you working with a HEPA in that climate, though.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
personally i hate the look of the burnt holes...when using a drill make sure to stick a peice of wood or something right below the acrylic peice you are drilling, and drill very slow.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Honestly I don't think you have much to worry about...but if you feel more safe then by all means use a mask. You can get a half mask Respirator with organic cartridges. If done outside like suggested it would really cut down on fumes.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My HD doesn't have organic cartridges so I may have to look harder. I don't do it that often or for that long to worry about climate. I do it inside my apt; to do it outside would be a hassle and draw unwanted attention. Lung cancer seems to run on my mom's side of the family so I'm not looking to increase my odds. Burning pvc produces dioxins; I'm not sure what burning acrylic, polycarbonate, and styrene produces....

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Have you tried smoldering lightly (softens the plastic) then finish it off with drilling?
Open window + electric fan? ;)