Marbled Orb Weavers outside my window?

Morgan Davis

Arachnopeon
A couple days ago I spotted a pretty large web just outside my window and didn't think much of it, as I inspected it and didnt see a spider anywhere in sight. However, last night, I saw a massive spider in that web and kind of panicked. Now normally, I wouldn't freak out in a situation like this, but the house I'm living in is really old and around the windows are tiny holes through which bugs get through if I leave the lights on in my room at night. I haven't found all of these holes, and I'm just scared that this spider is gonna get in somehow.

I went to sleep and around an hour ago, couldn't sleep and woke up to check on the spider and discovered a second, much smaller and identically colored one, and decided to do some research. After looking around, I found that they're marbled orb weavers, but I only drew that conclusion based off of the marking on their back and not color; the marbled orb weavers I saw in pictures were yellow and black, these are brown.

Reading about their non agressive behavior, I naturally wasn't too hesitant to just let them stay in my window, but again, my house is old and I can see egg sacks around the sill of my window, and I don't want the babies getting in when they hatch. Doesn't really help that I can't relocate them because I'm on the third story of my house and the window with the smaller weaver spider doesn't have a screen on it, making it kind of hard to catch them without them getting frightened and disappearing.

I'm not really a fan of spiders but my dad used to own tarantulas, and its kind of my fault for them deciding to live there because I always leave my light on at night, and living next to a sizable wooded area, bugs always flock to my window, so its basically easy pickings for them.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning more towards getting rid of them but if it's not necessary then I won't. I'll post a picture but the quality is very poor; its of the smaller spider.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Any suggestions? I'm leaning more towards getting rid of them but if it's not necessary then I won't. I'll post a picture but the quality is very poor; its of the smaller spider.
This looks like a furrow orbweaver (Larinioides cornutus) -- they're nocturnal, harmless, and generally stay outside. Please do not kill them.

When the spiderlings emerge from their egg sac, they will disperse within a few days. Even with a house that is not well sealed, there is very little chance that the spiderlings would set up shop in your home.

Morgan Davis

Arachnopeon
This looks like a furrow orbweaver (Larinioides cornutus) -- they're nocturnal, harmless, and generally stay outside. Please do not kill them.

When the spiderlings emerge from their egg sac, they will disperse within a few days. Even with a house that is not well sealed, there is very little chance that the spiderlings would set up shop in your home.

I just looked it up and that's definitely what it is, thank you. I think what I'll do is just get something to block the small holes around the frames of each of my three windows, just to calm my nerves, and leave them be. More than anything I'm glad there'll be something to eat all the moths and little bugs that flock to my window. Hopefully I'll be getting a better camera soon so perhaps I'll post pictures if any more orbweavers show up.

Thanks for the help! Glad I found out what these were before I mindlessly killed them out of fear.