Maple Syrup for Millipedes?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Does anyone feed maple syrup to their millipedes? I used to hear it was a good food source, especially for young, but I never see anyone talking about it anymore. I have given it to mine and I think they love it! I'm going on a 3 week holiday and plan to drip some in all of my enclosures. I added new rotten wood and lots of leaves. I'm also drying some mushrooms to sprinkle on the surface. My husband is not quite a millipede lover, so I am trying to keep his work to a minimum. He said he would feed apples twice a week and mist the enclosures. I am hoping he will fall in love with them while I'm gone. A girl can hope. :rolleyes:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My only concern with dripping a bunch in there is that it could encourage a mite outbreak or mold to a lesser extent. The new wood and leaves should be enough to last them while you're gone, especially if your husband is going to feed them too.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
My only concern with dripping a bunch in there is that it could encourage a mite outbreak or mold to a lesser extent. The new wood and leaves should be enough to last them while you're gone, especially if your husband is going to feed them too.
I've never seen mold on the syrup. I don't know about the mites. I've only ever had predatory mites. But you're probably right that the new substrate will be enough. I'm just nervous to leave that long. I read something in one of Orin's books that the maple syrup will not attract mites. I'll have to read tonight to refresh what I read. I should be packing. :wacky:

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
I've occasionally left mine a drop or two of maple syrup and/or honey on a bottle cap, but I've always taken it out within a few days so I don't know how prone it is to molding or mites either.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never seen mold on the syrup. I don't know about the mites. I've only ever had predatory mites. But you're probably right that the new substrate will be enough. I'm just nervous to leave that long. I read something in one of Orin's books that the maple syrup will not attract mites. I'll have to read tonight to refresh what I read. I should be packing. :wacky:
Ah if you have a good population of predatory mites I'd say you'll be good to go! And I'd say if Orin didn't have any issues with it then that's a good sign too.