1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Manual" Tarantula Breeding

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Conart, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Conart

Conart Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So, i just saw a video on facebook. It shows a grammostola pulchra breeding, but the weird thing is the OP is holding the female(like a pinch grab) and he stated that the female is a "male eater" so he did what he had to do.
    Just want to ask if anybody else had tried this?
    Or is this a "new" discovered thing?
    And also I want to hear your opinions about this.

2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Have you got a link to the video?

I've never heard of anyone doing this in over 2 and a half years of keeping and I know plenty of breeders on FB.

3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Yeah I saw that one too, seems to have worked out pretty well.

4. JoeRossi

JoeRossi Arachnohumbled Old Timer

5. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Well... that's an interesting concept. Please post a link to the video!

6. LittleGiRLy

LittleGiRLy Arachnoknight Old Timer

Interesting, i wonder is this really works, and what their results were...

7. Saw the video and I admire the guts of the guy who did it even if G. pulchripes are mostly docile species.

8. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    I've heard of the concept before, but I've never seen it in action. Wonder how well that'd go down if someone tried doing that with old worlds. :hilarious:

9. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

This sounds like a lot of work... I'd rather just let the male do it's thing. My question is how do they feel each other drumming? I would think if you pick up a female and introduce a male without the mating drumming you're likely to invoke the feeding response out of one of them. The mating drumming is a important delicate balance of communication. I call BS on this...

10. Conart

Conart Arachnopeon

11. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

This idea is not worth it IMO, while G. pulchra maybe not bad for a pinch grab since they are a docile species. The idea is still way too dangerous, I can't imagine this being done with an OW or a Pokie. The video was interesting though, but I can't see this becoming a normal thing in the hobby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    I like how you say that as if the two are different :hilarious::troll:

But yes, I agree. Maybe for calm and hard to pair species like G. pulchra, but I can't see it becoming common place at all. That and I'd just feel bad forcing an unreceptive female to mate. Rather just let them do their own thing and supervise/ intervene if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

Okay, but doesn't eating the male in most cases provide good nutrition for the female to lay a successfully fertile sac? And even MM pulchras can't be more than like 100 dollars or so, right? I don't understand the need to do this.

14. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    Never heard of this concept, interesting to say the least!

15. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

It does, but thats one very expensive meal...especially if the male didn't have a chance to make the insertion beforehand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

ESPECIALLY if you're trying to breed him with more than one female.

17. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    While i am definitely no expert, in my limited experience, G. pulchra are quite easy to pair. Getting a sac is the tough part from what i have read. (i'll find out eventually with my girl. :) )

• Like Like x 1
  18. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Why not go a step further? Once the males made his sperm web, cut off his palps and insert into the pinch grabbed females furrow. Surely can't be that hard.

Ive seen this quite a few times. No idea how it turns out.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    That might be what i'm thinking of, it's hard getting them to drop a sac and not that they're hard to pair themselves.

• Like Like x 1