"Manual" Tarantula Breeding

Conart

Arachnopeon
So, i just saw a video on facebook. It shows a grammostola pulchra breeding, but the weird thing is the OP is holding the female(like a pinch grab) and he stated that the female is a "male eater" so he did what he had to do.
Just want to ask if anybody else had tried this?
Or is this a "new" discovered thing?
And also I want to hear your opinions about this.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Have you got a link to the video?

I've never heard of anyone doing this in over 2 and a half years of keeping and I know plenty of breeders on FB.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So, i just saw a video on facebook. It shows a grammostola pulchra breeding, but the weird thing is the OP is holding the female(like a pinch grab) and he stated that the female is a "male eater" so he did what he had to do.
Just want to ask if anybody else had tried this?
Or is this a "new" discovered thing?
And also I want to hear your opinions about this.
Yeah I saw that one too, seems to have worked out pretty well.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well... that's an interesting concept. Please post a link to the video!

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting, i wonder is this really works, and what their results were...

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Saw the video and I admire the guts of the guy who did it even if G. pulchripes are mostly docile species.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I've heard of the concept before, but I've never seen it in action. Wonder how well that'd go down if someone tried doing that with old worlds. :rofl:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
This sounds like a lot of work... I'd rather just let the male do it's thing. My question is how do they feel each other drumming? I would think if you pick up a female and introduce a male without the mating drumming you're likely to invoke the feeding response out of one of them. The mating drumming is a important delicate balance of communication. I call BS on this...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This idea is not worth it IMO, while G. pulchra maybe not bad for a pinch grab since they are a docile species. The idea is still way too dangerous, I can't imagine this being done with an OW or a Pokie. The video was interesting though, but I can't see this becoming a normal thing in the hobby.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I can't imagine this being done with an OW or a Pokie.
I like how you say that as if the two are different :rofl::troll:

But yes, I agree. Maybe for calm and hard to pair species like G. pulchra, but I can't see it becoming common place at all. That and I'd just feel bad forcing an unreceptive female to mate. Rather just let them do their own thing and supervise/ intervene if necessary.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Okay, but doesn't eating the male in most cases provide good nutrition for the female to lay a successfully fertile sac? And even MM pulchras can't be more than like 100 dollars or so, right? I don't understand the need to do this.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Okay, but doesn't eating the male in most cases provide good nutrition for the female to lay a successfully fertile sac? And even MM pulchras can't be more than like 100 dollars or so, right? I don't understand the need to do this.
It does, but thats one very expensive meal...especially if the male didn't have a chance to make the insertion beforehand.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Maybe for calm and hard to pair species like G. pulchra.....
While i am definitely no expert, in my limited experience, G. pulchra are quite easy to pair. Getting a sac is the tough part from what i have read. (i'll find out eventually with my girl. :) )

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why not go a step further? Once the males made his sperm web, cut off his palps and insert into the pinch grabbed females furrow. Surely can't be that hard.

Ive seen this quite a few times. No idea how it turns out.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
While i am definitely no expert, in my limited experience, G. pulchra are quite easy to pair. Getting a sac is the tough part from what i have read. (i'll find out eventually with my girl. :) )
That might be what i'm thinking of, it's hard getting them to drop a sac and not that they're hard to pair themselves.