Mantis problem (I have no idea)

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
I have been putting this off for quite a while now, but I am now quite worried for my Mantids/Mantis'ss (????) health.

I think back in august of 2017, I noticed that "Tismon" (yes, that is the name of my Mantis) had developed a black fringe on the bottom of her wings. I thought nothing of it, and that she would molt and restore her wings. However, with the photos I provide, you will now see that the black fringe has spread across her wings.

Is this a common injury?
Should I be worried for her health?

I sincerely appreciate all responses.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Have you read anything by Adrian Tchaikovsky? He has a mantis character with the same name.

Anyway, that's kind of odd. I'm not really sure what's happening with the wings, but I will say whatever it is is probably permanent. Once the mantis gets it's wings it's an adult and won't molt anymore. I guess as long as it's still behaving normally and the black stuff doesn't start on the body it's probably fine.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Looks like the wings are rotting. And I also noticed drips of water on your mantis. How humid are you keeping your mantis?

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Yeah I have a feeling this may be fungal due to living in overly saturated conditions, possibly with less than adequate ventilation. Can you tell us more about its home?

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Its a plastic terrarium, with big netted air vents either side. I spray it with a mist sprayer every 4 days, or every week.

I have sand mixed with potting soil as substrate.

(Also, in that picture I had just freshly misted her terrarium and got her out to take pictures)

Last edited: