mantis pic posting time!

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must agree - I've been admiring your collection for the past month. I can't wait until summer...we're supposed to get lots of mantids around here when it warms up.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow great pictures i wish that i lived in a warmer place so that i could get some matises to catch. by the way what should i feed my mantises can i feed them criks or do they prefer mealworms ?? :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
because i have ordered some and should be picking them up tommorrow :cool:

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great mantis,
I'd like to see the tanks where you keeping them.
And what about heating, do you heating all room?
When an Ootheca hatch, how long can live hatchings together?
I love these insect. {D

Thanks

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is my terrarium.

I use heating cable - 25 Watts. I installed it just behind back wall.
As I know, young mantis hatch after 3-4 weeks. Larvae are separated after hatching.

Attachments

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amazing creatures, can't beleive I never looked through this thread before today. I've always loved the orchid mantis, amazes me. have mantids on my house and bushes but illegal to catch around here. Plus I've read they are very hard to keep alive without the precise conditions. So for now I just admire, but one day maybe...

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Amazing creatures, can't beleive I never looked through this thread before today. I've always loved the orchid mantis, amazes me. have mantids on my house and bushes but illegal to catch around here. Plus I've read they are very hard to keep alive without the precise conditions. So for now I just admire, but one day maybe...
whats precise conditions? They are easier to care for than most inverts. Just mist slightly and they drink off the screen, dont need alot of humidity, just for molts. All you need is a stick for them to climb on. They are easier for my to care for than anything else.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Funny.... you told me you had like 250 and now only have 2, so wiggle your fingers at someone else.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Funny.... you told me you had like 250 and now only have 2, so wiggle your fingers at someone else.
haha, i was talking about caring for them as they grow up. They are too easy! I had a wild caught male that barely needed any maintnance. When their little thier horrible, they eat each other and fight. They you separate them and they have to eat every goddam day. Other than that its not bad.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
I think if they are illegal to catch(I'm not talking about exporting or importing) anywhere on this planet, it is in germany (Mantis religiosa) because they are protected by law just like Vespa crabro (a hornet). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (if you live in Germany). They may be protected by law in the UK also but I don't think so.

Mantids=very easy to keep, otherwise I wouldn't have hundreds of them (13 species). Most tarantulas are even easier though.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:
I think if they are illegal to catch(I'm not talking about exporting or importing) anywhere on this planet, it is in germany (Mantis religiosa) because they are protected by law just like Vespa crabro (a hornet). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (if you live in Germany). They may be protected by law in the UK also but I don't think so.

Mantids=very easy to keep, otherwise I wouldn't have hundreds of them (13 species). Most tarantulas are even easier though.
Mantis religiosa and it's subspecies are all under protection in West (but I don't know wihich countries) and in Central Europe (maybe not in the South of our continent because this one is very common there). In Poland, Mantis religiosa polonica is in Polish Red Data Book of Animals... that shows how rare is she.
We don't protect Vespa crabro (nobody loves them, I don't know why they are beautiful).

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
Mantis religiosa and it's subspecies are all under protection in West (but I don't know wihich countries) and in Central Europe (maybe not in the South of our continent because this one is very common there). In Poland, Mantis religiosa polonica is in Polish Red Data Book of Animals... that shows how rare is she.
We don't protect Vespa crabro (nobody loves them, I don't know why they are beautiful).

Thanks for that info! It is a common misconception that they are protected here in the States too, but in fact they are not (Which is good considering both T. sinensis and M. religiosa were introduced).

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
mantid keepers and intrested parties in mantids more then likely know there is a dedicated mantid fourm hosted by deshawn (mantidkingdom) which is a great place to visit if you want to concentrate on mantids or ask some pretty knowledgeable keepers questions...(not that there arent knowledgeable mantid keepers right here... man I am digging a hole) I am not sure if posting a link to another bug site is kosher :embarrassed: if not then some op will squash this thread but:
www.mantidforum.com

your pal-
loosey

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:

It's illegal in NY. They are protected.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are they protected specifically, or are they protected just because everythings protected? I ask because it's an old urban myth that it's illegeal to catch or kill mantids in the US.

It would be very unususal for a state to protect non-native species!

Wade

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wade said:
Are they protected specifically, or are they protected just because everythings protected? I ask because it's an old urban myth that it's illegeal to catch or kill mantids in the US.

It would be very unususal for a state to protect non-native species!

Wade
Not in USA, but definitely in NY Where I live. They are endagered in my county I believe. I'll try to find online info if I can.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I spent the first 21 years of my life in NY and I am almost willing to bet my life savings that they are not protected anywhere in the US and especially not NY. They are not native, therefore they are not protected! The only insects protected by law (but almost impossible to protect) are some of the burying beetles and a little blue butterfly, both native. If you find a legit site like USDA-APHIS, USFW, or the NY DEC that says that the European mantid (Mantis religiosa) is protected in the US or NY I'll shut up...........maybe. Have fun searching. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just pretty sure that I'm right.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I looked around, it seems they are not illegal to kill but recommended not to since they consume a large number of insects deemed as pets. Not sure why you are shouting, guess your genitals get all hot when talking about insects. :D To each his own I guess.

Actually I was going to feed one to my birdeater, but they look so amazing I figured might as well let him go. Breaking the law is actually a hobby of mine if you read some of my watering hole posts. Thanks for the tip though, I may grab the next one I see and keep it, amazing creatures, I love that eerie stare they give you watching your every move..... creepy. Seem intelligent.... for an insect.