Mantis for a beginner

The wolf

Arachnolord
I am looking for a first mantis and I have dug up fairly mixed reports on which to choose so I thought you guys could help

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you like large species, Hierodula and Sphodromantis species are fairly easy and very fun to keep. Creobroter gemmatus have a sort of flower-camouflage going on that looks interesting even though they are smaller.
Phyllocrania paradoxa is a really cool species because of its mimicry of a dead leaf. The Spider Shop has these in stock regularly if i remember correctly. :)

The wolf

Arachnolord
If you like large species, Hierodula and Sphodromantis species are fairly easy and very fun to keep. Creobroter gemmatus have a sort of flower-camouflage going on that looks interesting even though they are smaller.
Phyllocrania paradoxa is a really cool species because of its mimicry of a dead leaf. The Spider Shop has these in stock regularly if i remember correctly. :)
Wow I didn't release these were all viable options for a beginner thanks

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hierodula sp. Females are massive. Beautiful too.

This was my adult female Hierodula majuscula.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Wow these were probably at the top of my list before but now there is no question she is absolutely beautiful
Just don't try and hand feed an adult a wax worm. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Skip to 6.04 on the video.

basin79

ArachnoGod
We all have those moments.On another note she doesn't half look magnificent in that video I'm very excited
They're fantastic. They really are. To see the size difference after a moult really had to be witnessed to be fully appreciated.

The wolf

Arachnolord
They're fantastic. They really are. To see the size difference after a moult really had to be witnessed to be fully appreciated.
That reminds me of my ocypus olens larva that went from a tinny grubby little thing to an aggressive monster in about a month it felt like every feeding I dug up a different,bigger larva

basin79

ArachnoGod
That reminds me of my ocypus olens larva that went from a tinny grubby little thing to an aggressive monster in about a month it felt like every feeding I dug up a different,bigger larva
I found an adult on a site I was working on years ago. Brought it home. Absolutely unbelievable little predator. It once got on the back of a cricket and was carried around until it chewed the crickets head off.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I found an adult on a site I was working on years ago. Brought it home. Absolutely unbelievable little predator. It once got on the back of a cricket and was carried around until it chewed the crickets head off.
I'm surprised you would have to buy one over here they are fairly common in the wild

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Can never go wrong with an H. majuscula. big, beautiful and will eat anything you put in front of them

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another species is a Tenodera sinensis. Gets quite big, is a bit more slender than Hierodula species. Need to watch your fingers though, it's a bit of a food-aggressive species.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I am looking for a first mantis and I have dug up fairly mixed reports on which to choose so I thought you guys could help
idk if this is the best thing for a beginner is i always get a Tenodera sinensis ooth and when that hatches i keep some and let the rest go (the species is already established here)