Mantis Care?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Hi guys, just got what I believe to be Mantis religiosa today. It looks to be an adult female. I'm setting its enclosure up right now and was wondering a few things. I was reading online that they need humidity and that to receive their water, they should be misted. Is this true for mantises? Also, are water dishes an acceptable way to go? I tried to provide an enclosure that was at least 3x the height of the mantis in height and 2x the height of the mantis in width. It also has a screen top.

If you guys have more care tips, they would sure be appreciated. Thanks guys :).

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi guys, just got what I believe to be Mantis religiosa today. It looks to be an adult female. I'm setting its enclosure up right now and was wondering a few things. I was reading online that they need humidity and that to receive their water, they should be misted. Is this true for mantises? Also, are water dishes an acceptable way to go? I tried to provide an enclosure that was at least 3x the height of the mantis in height and 2x the height of the mantis in width. It also has a screen top.

If you guys have more care tips, they would sure be appreciated. Thanks guys :).
A water dish won't be used by a mantis. You can mist the enclosure/deco or just give your mantis water drops from a plastic fork etc. They'll happily drink drops off something.

With your mantis being an adult you don't have to worry about the 3x rule as she won't moult again. Of course make sure she has room to wander about though.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
They do need to be misted, though you probably won't see it drinking, as they get most of their water from their prey. No water dishes, as they spend all their time up high. A screen top is fine. What do you plan to put in the cage itself?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Also, mantids love honey. You could feed it to them off of a barbeque spear, or the top of a plastic fork. They are precious looking gripping the honey with their class as they lap it up.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
What do you plan to put in the cage itself?
I have peat moss as the substrate, a fake plant and a couple of branches, one of which extends all the way to the top of the cage so she can get to the top to hang from the lid if she likes.

Here a couple pix of the enclosure:
IMG_20180925_164248.jpg IMG_20180925_164228.jpg

The Seraph

Arachnolord
That will be more then enough, from what I can see. And when the mantis dies, if you decide you like them, you can use it for another species. Such a shame they live for such a short time.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I've already given her two prey items (boy, they don't mess around), some honey, and some water from an eyedropper. As you said, the honey was adorable :D.