1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mantidfly

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by arachnocat, Jun 2, 2008.

1. arachnocat

arachnocat Arachnoangel Old Timer

Advertisement
    I was excited to find this guy in my laundry room yesterday. He's a California mantidfly. I've only seen pics of them so it was cool to see a live one. It was hard to get a good picture, he wouldn't hold still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

Look like good pics to me, nice, nice ,nice:clap:

3. OTwolfe

OTwolfe Arachnosquire

cool little critter! how big do they get?

4. arachnocat

Thanks! He was about 3/4".

5. Matt K

Matt K Arachnoangel

For something so small you surely caught some nice pics of it. Well done!
    ;)

6. Mantisfly

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but did you guys know that these lacewings' favourite meal is-- *gulp*-- spider eggs? :(

Look it up, I'm not blowing smoke..

They are very cool looking little bugs, though! It's amazing how they are completely unrelated to mantids, and yet have such similar physical features.

7. deathwing

deathwing Arachnoknight

And also aphids. But I think that isnt a lacewing?
    :confused:

8. Nice mantidfly! I've always wanted to see one in real life. I've read that they are parasitic to wasps or bees depending on what's available or the species.

9. myrmecophile

myrmecophile Arachnobaron Old Timer

Actually the adults are very accomplished predators. I commonly find them at my black lights eating other insects which came to the light.

10. BurrowDweller

BurrowDweller Arachnoknight Old Timer

We find tons of them in Kentucky when searching golden rod flowers for crab spiders. Cool bugs!

11. arachnocat

I wonder if the larvae look like ant lions or just mini adults.

12. Cheshire

Cheshire Arachnoking Old Timer

Iowa
    Order Neuroptera are the lacewings. Mantispidae are firmly within that order.

And the larvae of these guys are generally predatory on spider eggs...not the adults.

The adults feed similarly to mantids.

13. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

CA
    So breeding these in captivity would be relatively straightforward...eh? do they require a specific species as a host?

14. I like the term mantispid (rather than mantidfly) to describe these bugs since they are not actually "flies" (diptera). There are actually insects in diptera that have raptorial forelegs. Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.entomology.ualberta.ca/searching_species_details.php?s=5831

On a related note, I caught two snake"flies" in the past two weeks. They seem to feed pretty well on melanogaster flies, but the first one I caught has now died.

15. josh_r

josh_r Arachnoprince

ive seen a couple few different species of these guys here in az... never seen them until i moved here. they are really cool!

16. Eclipse

Eclipse Arachnobaron

I think it was said before, but the mantisfly is in no way related to a mantis if anything it would be more closely related to a fly, but belongs in the lacewing family. It has a larval stage just like lacewings and flies. :}

I like how evolution works.

17. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I've seen very few of these until I put a BL on my back porch to catch food for my mantises. The past few nights I've seen several at a time next to the light. I didn't think they were that common here. Thanks, those are some great pics.

18. auroborus

auroborus Arachnosquire

Ya, I turned on my black light and saw a pair of mantid flies gorging themselves until they were fat as could be. Ya, its deff cool how evolution can create two distant species that hunt and look almost identical.

19. Cheshire

Cheshire Arachnoking Old Timer

Iowa
    It's called convergent evolution...when two unrelated groups evolve similar features.

Quite a few examples of this...the marsupial sugar gliders in Australia and the Eutherian flying squirrels here in America, for example.

20. anaconda19

anaconda19 Arachnosquire

uk
    he looks cool are you keeping him? fed it yet? whats its size?