Mantid Terrarium

SnappyMantid

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! I have found a ton of wild baby mantises, and an adult, and I have a large, tall container. Any ideas for the contents to make it a luxury mantid den? And also I would love to breed mantids, but I don't have a female (Besides the dead one that I pinned. That doesn't count)! Thanks!

Attachments

Danalemp1216

Arachnosquire
The most important thing is good perches for molting. I don't recommend housing them together, as they will canninalize. I used to use tall deli cups with a large hole cut out of the lid and mesh glued on. They nymphs hang upside down to molt, so they need a secure place to hang from, and enough open space below them to molt. A little substrate and some nice branches is all you need. Mist them regularly for them to drink.

SnappyMantid

Arachnopeon
The most important thing is good perches for molting. I don't recommend housing them together, as they will canninalize. I used to use tall deli cups with a large hole cut out of the lid and mesh glued on. They nymphs hang upside down to molt, so they need a secure place to hang from, and enough open space below them to molt. A little substrate and some nice branches is all you need. Mist them regularly for them to drink.
Thanks! I will definitely try that! Hopefully I'll find a male too. Just feed the nymphs pinhead crickets?

Danalemp1216

Arachnosquire
I used to maintain a fruit fly culture when I was raising mantids, as long as the crickets are small enough that should be fine. However, some mantis keepers have reported vomiting and death associated with feeder crickets. There is not clear explanation, and may have some BS mixed in, but it is recommended to gut load crickets for a few days before feeding to your mantids

SnappyMantid

Arachnopeon
I used to maintain a fruit fly culture when I was raising mantids, as long as the crickets are small enough that should be fine. However, some mantis keepers have reported vomiting and death associated with feeder crickets. There is not clear explanation, and may have some BS mixed in, but it is recommended to gut load crickets for a few days before feeding to your mantids
Gotcha! Thanks!